Paypal????

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Big Sis..

Paypal????

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :D

A new forum user has asked me about the merits of Paypal.
I know there was a section on it but I cant seem to find it can anyone help!!!!!
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

As always, it depends!

I know there are lots of people here that use it successfully. I have recently managed to set up an account, after feedback from guests who would have liked to use it.

However, the Italian government has just introduced a law that says all invoices must be paid directly into an Italian bank a/c, which means I can't use it for rental after all.

Meanwhile, my bank has agreed to give me a POS terminal for free, with just a 1.5% charge per transaction (I think that is cheaper than Paypal) - it will be interesting to see whether guests prefer to pay this way.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My bank wanted to charge me a fortune for the credit card payments, can't believe you can't choose how you accept the money from your guests though Carole-Ann. So they can't pay you by cash or cheque either then?
janskov

Post by janskov »

I have taken payment via PayPal for 4 years now and without problems.
They charge 3.5 pct. and insist on sending me the money in DK Kr. even if they were paid in Euro - and at a poor exchange rate.

But what is the alternative when you don't want to open a Merchant account because that is also very expensive.

I am seriously considering Moneybookers, but nobody seems to have experience with them and it also takes time for your guests to open an account.
paolo

Post by paolo »

If you do a search on 'paypal' you will get all the the threads that have mentioned it. Click on the 'Search' button at the top of the page.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
gh

Post by gh »

It's the way to pay now-a-days credit card and all. Plastic money on the never never.

HelenB helped us set up our web site link to them recently and have taken a booking with it. You may or you may not pass the charge on to your booker, seems like some prefer to pay the booking charge rather than pay hard cash/cheque to secure the booking.

Each to their own, don't mind how's it paid so long as we are paid, thanks HelenB.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Paolo,

I found it in the end ,are the gaps because of legalities Im sure they werent there before???
paolo

Post by paolo »

Ros,

The gaps are there because the forum software unhelpfully highlights text in white. If you search for 'paypal' every instance of that word will be invisible. You can overcome this by going up to the address bar at the top of your browser, which may say something like:

viewtopic.php?t=2487&highlight=paypal

and delete the last part so you are left with:

viewtopic.php?t=2487

Then hit Return.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks Paolo, :D

Helpful as ever!!!! :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

johnel wrote:It's the way to pay now-a-days credit card and all. Plastic money on the never never................
..........Each to their own, don't mind how's it paid so long as we are paid, thanks HelenB.
You may well be right but in seven years I have rarely been asked if I accept credit cards, never mind payment through PayPal.

Despite all reports to the contrary some people still use cheques and/or cash.

Fluffy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alan, I think that's reasonable, but people won't generally ask, they will pay you by whatever method you specify on the website/rental listing.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Alan :D

Im the same as you payment by cheque...Ive been asked the odd time[about 3] about ccs though..
and do think I missed quite a good last minute booking last year because I didnt accept them....
I didnt even twig at the time...He was all for it...Definetly wanted it.....Do you take ccs no sorry...not a problem......The chq would be in the post the next day...

Got an email the next couple of days ..sorry change of circumstances...illness in family blah blah...sorry for Inconvenience...

Didnt even twig until my Daughter said...he couldnt afford it unless he put it on his Credit Card..
Im not a Credit Card sort of Gal but most people are also I think they think theres some sort of protection with it..

Still think I will stay as I am for now though.....but never say never... :wink: :roll:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ros,
...he couldn’t afford it unless he put it on his Credit Card.
Spot on, he couldn’t afford! He’ll “consolidate� his debts later. He’ll buy now and pay some other time, if ever.

I really don’t care, so long as I get paid.

To be serious for a moment, I am not aware of losing any bookings because I want to be paid up-front.

Fluffy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Alan
You might not be aware though, thats the point and I stand with you as a chq or cash person....and dont want to cahnge 8)
But maybe youll have a phone call to check a few things how do you want paying, chq....then you hear no more...or even if on the site theres no mention of CCs they move on...
Its just something we both might have to consider in the future........sadly :cry: Especially for late on the spur of the moment bookings.

Its a bit like overdrafts
When I go in the bank where I used to work[dont laugh]
to check the balance available ,they add on the overdraft, now to me thats not REAL money but the youngsters have been bought up to use all there overdraft every month so they can be really stung with charges when they overdraw theyre overdraft.
We might smugly think we wouldnt be like that but at their age we didnt have the chance to be like that,the Banks wouldnt let you.
I know that when we first started giving out loans at our bank the Manager used to look in their accounts and say
Im not lending them THAT they havent got enough savings to pay it back...
If you got a suit on tick at Burtons you used to feel guilty. :evil:

You must get these[unsolicited] CC chqs made out in your name for a few thousand...Xmas time...2 months no payments
Gee thanks...so that you get in the sh**in Feb Mar....How tempting is that for youngsters trying to buy a few Kids presents....
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ros,

When it comes to Banks I must be amongst their worst customers.

My current account is always in credit. I pay my credit cards in full at the end of each month. I have no borrowings, secured or unsecured. I insist that all international transfers are done at commercial and not tourist rate. I don’t even insure with them. I do have a deposit account for which they pay me a pathetic rate of interest. Apart from imposing “service charges� in return for no services they get nothing out of me.

Sorry but my upbringing means I’m not part of today’s “I want it all and I want it now� culture. I buy what I can pay for and I save up for the rest. I don’t even have a “blueberry or blackberry or strawberry (or whatever they’re called), an MP3 or a mobile phone screwed into my ear.

Is that GOM or what?

Fluffy