Possible OD/HA Text Scam

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Yorkshire Lass

Possible OD/HA Text Scam

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

Received a text from 'OWNERS' the other day which said 'Request for reservation from Gemma Lowery' and underneath it had the HA House log with the legend ' Best Match Performance' next to it and a click link. In my haste I clicked the link and was taken to the OD login page but then when I tried to log in I got a request for a verification code which I again clicked on. It didn't come but then I started getting automated calls from a number in San Jose, USA (which must be the US HA office) with verbal verification codes (I'm based in the UK). The ultimate result was that I got an email telling me my account had been locked so I rang OD (without success - all routes seemed to lead to me having the call discontinued) but then engaged in an online chat with one of their operators who could find no trace of a request from 'Gemma Lowery' so we mutually agreed to reset my password. I think this could have been a glitch via the US site but can't be sure and just wanted to inform anyone else in case they have the same experience. Clearly, I made a mistake clicking on the link in the text message but because so much is changing with this site I just thought at the time that it might be the latest in their programme of 'improvements' . My enquiries and bookings via OD are down 10% year on year and the site still seems very prone to scam messages from my experience. As a business they have clearly decided they can earn much more money via the Service Fees and the subscription payment/commission fees off a rapidly decreasing number of transactions but as guests and owners start leaving in increasing numbers I just wonder at what point they'll realize they may be killing the goose that laid the golden egg for themselves (it's already happening to their owners in terms of bookings via OD/HA).
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
AndrewH

Re: Possible OD/HA Text Scam

Post by AndrewH »

Yorkshire Lass wrote:As a business they have clearly decided they can earn much more money via the Service Fees and the subscription payment/commission fees off a rapidly decreasing number of transactions but as guests and owners start leaving in increasing numbers I just wonder at what point they'll realize they may be killing the goose that laid the golden egg for themselves (it's already happening to their owners in terms of bookings via OD/HA).
Yes indeed, I wonder how close they are (or not) to that tipping point.