Guest expectations

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

You have my sympathies; a difficult guest is never easy to deal with whether you've been doing it for one year or ten.

There's probably much you can do to prevent future issues by improving your website to list exactly what you do and don't supply. You should highlight your small wi-fi allowance so that it's really clear what this means and what if anything can be done should a guest use the allowance up.

You are up against this world of differing standards where the line has been blurred between very minimal facilities and other homes that provide everything you need and more.

I supply plenty of hangers, usually about 16/20 per wardrobe (the numbers drop as guests do take them occasionally), I don't have a dishwasher but a washing machine, and do provide a box of tablets. I wouldn't expect one set of guests to use them all up though.

I wouldn't have given more towels unless it was a two week stay in which case I'd offer replacement linen etc at the half way point.

Finally, I certainly wouldn't give a refund if he uses up all the wi-fi, if you don't mention supplying it in your terms anyway. Now's the time to tighten up your terms if needs be, so that you're never held responsible for something that is outside of your control or where you have informed them up front of the availability of a given product. Good luck with Mr Difficult.
eoinm

Post by eoinm »

Quick update. I decided to wait until hearing from him before buying the new SIM. Yesterday evening he blew past the cap and the net access shut down.

Still haven't heard from him. I'm going to wait until I do. He booked directly and I don't want a return booking from him so am not that bothered if it is a point of contention. Our experience up until now would indicate that he would be on to us very quickly if it annoyed him in any way.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

He has probably sent you an email...... :D :D :D
eoinm

Post by eoinm »

Interestingly I've found out that there appears to be at least 2 extra people staying at the property than what was agreed.

Supposed to be three kids and there are five teenagers. I'm getting that info second hand though so can't verify. But it would explain why the net might have been used up so quickly.

It also, if true, annoys me as we are essentially providing extra towels etc for guests that aren't supposed to be there.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

eoinm wrote:Interestingly I've found out that there appears to be at least 2 extra people staying at the property than what was agreed.

Supposed to be three kids and there are five teenagers. I'm getting that info second hand though so can't verify. But it would explain why the net might have been used up so quickly.

It also, if true, annoys me as we are essentially providing extra towels etc for guests that aren't supposed to be there.
Sounds like you need to get that verified somehow asap. Assuming you have a booking contract they are now in breach of contract and possibly liable for immediate extra charge, withholding of security deposit or worst case scenario an early departure
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Oh - the extra guests explain a lot! Hope your T&Cs cover you for charging him the full whack. With no internet Mr Grumpy is going to have 5 very grumpy teenagers on his hands for nearly 2 weeks. Delightful :D
The best things in life are free
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Giraffe wrote:Oh - the extra guests explain a lot! Hope your T&Cs cover you for charging him the full whack. With no internet Mr Grumpy is going to have 5 very grumpy teenagers on his hands for nearly 2 weeks. Delightful :D
Love it! His demands, excessive internet use and over occupancy have come back to bite him in the b#m!
Fleur
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Looking forward to an update!

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

eoinm wrote:Interestingly I've found out that there appears to be at least 2 extra people staying at the property than what was agreed.

I'm afraid that we only provide enough towels for the number of booked guests but we do live on site.

Jonathan
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Well, eoinm, only another week to go before these guests leave. Some people are born complainers, aren't they? And we have all heard about the serial complainers who threaten you with a bad review or worse if you don't compensate them later for their 'unenjoyable' stay.

It is one of the more unpleasant aspects of the business we're all in. Some time, soon or later, we will get these kind of people in our holiday homes, and it is always a relief when they finally depart. We are on site, and we couldn't imagine having to deal with this kind of situation from a distance. You can never please all the people all of the time though, can you! You think you have thought of everything, supply sufficient amount of things that the average guest wouldn't even get through during their stay but you still get people with the most bizarre ideas, suggestions and complaints.

Some nightmare guests that stayed with us several years ago, just booked again out of the blue via VRBO, without contacting us first (we would have told them that we were currently battling to control an outbreak of Legionnaire's Disease in the bathroom, or something similar!)
I immediately said to the OH, 'Make a note that we have to put a new dust bag in the vacuum cleaner and replace both filters inside just before they arrive.' The reason being that when they were here last, I was called into the accommodation by the husband, who had lain the vacuum cleaner out on the kitchen table, with its filters, dirt bag and hose removed. He then began to inform me that the filters were dirty and the bag was too full (the bag was not even half full actually). When I brought the replacements in order to calm him down, he took the filter strips out of my hands and started cutting them into shape. He then told me that the staircase was too steep and dangerous, before I had the chance to scarper. I think we will plan to go away when they are here this September. But, thinking about it, maybe that is not a good idea after all, in case he starts to rewire the place, dig up the garden or something similar. :shock:

I can't imagine someone complaining about clothes hangers, are they planning on eating out in fine restaurants or going to a funeral during their stay?

In some holiday rentals you get a couple of dishwasher detergent bars to get you started, some places have enough for your whole stay, some don't provide any at all, but it is the inexperienced holiday home renters that are often the problem. As others have said, those that have experience of staying mostly in hotels think that the owner is actually the 24-hour concierge/reception.

We have for the first time this year installed a separate internet connection as we were worried about guests downloading torrents. They could download 1TB of high-definition films during their stay and costwise, it would have no consequence for us (capped internet here is though unheard of and we are glad that we don't have to worry about guests' internet usage).What we are though worried about is that the authorities have tightened up on illegal downloading recently and we don't want to be held responsible for our guests' activities.

Good luck with these people (I won't use the word 'guests') - and roll on next Thursday!
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

'I can't imagine someone complaining about clothes hangers, are they planning on eating out in fine restaurants or going to a funeral during their stay? '

I think most likely for the over occupancy, although if it extra teens I'm not sure hangers are necessary

Riponnewbie

Loo Roll Expectations!

Post by Riponnewbie »

I am a newbie at this and I am worried I am being stingy with the consumables I leave in the cottage.
I leave one new loo roll per bathroom but no more.
Following from on the discussion on how many dishwasher tabs to leave, I am worried I am perhaps being mean?

Am I out of kilter with customer expectations?

(My wifi is unlimited and I am about to go out and buy more hangers!)
e-richard

Re: Loo Roll Expectations!

Post by e-richard »

Riponnewbie wrote:Am I out of kilter with customer expectations?
Hi Ripponmewbie and welcome.
As you've seen above expectations vary ginormously, so my approach is to ensure that you simply tell the guests in advance what to expect.
I think its called setting expectations.....

And on a lighter note, I wonder about your choice of username (handle) on this forum as I'm sure that within a very short while you won't be a newbie any more and will be dolling out advice yourself which will carry less weight when coming from a "newbie" :D :D
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

This guest certainly sounds very unreasonable... with all those demands. How difficult for you

Although I tend to go out of my way to avoid conflict I would certainly be checking what I had written on my website and in any information given to the guests - particularly with the website usage .. and might then remind the guest about what I had written

In a couple of situations I have offered a guest a £50 refund but am not suggesting this is necessarily appropriate in your case.
eoinm

Post by eoinm »

Update. I never topped up the internet and they never mentioned it. Guest checked out and left the house in a mess, will need a decent clean but nothing required from the security deposit. Just glad they're gone. Have bought an extra SIM for 60gb, hopefully that will be enough!

Thanks for all help and replies. Hoping the next guests are decent!