Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Possible overpayment scam via Abritel

Scam email enquiries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Possible overpayment scam via Abritel Reply with quote

I got an enquiry today (the first for a long time so was very heppy at first). Request was from erica b, no dates had been selected via Abritel (which raised my suspicions) but in her mail she was to rent our gite for 2 people in Sept. Bearing in mind that the gite sleeps 8 and is priced accordingly I thought this somewhat profligate, but responded anyway. I received a response almost immediately (suspicious again) saying she would like to book, her office would handle the payment direct to my bank account, could I supply my bank account details. She also gave her address and telephone number in the email. Googling the address shows its a valid address, but the telephone number is unavailable.

It all smells to me of an overpayment scam. "oh, my office has made a mistake and overpaid you, could you transfer the money back please". They disappear along the money paid into my account and the money I transferred them back.

The interesting thing is that she had even included a copy of her passport to build some confidence.

I am raising this here to raise awareness that this type of scam appears to be raising its head again, but with more 'validation' of identity etc.
Dusty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got exactly the same booking request today. This time when I phoned Homeaway they new all about it and asked me to report it as scam, so I am clearly not the only one who is getting this.
Renaud2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also received this. Second one in a week. First was from "er.bu",
and both sent straight to OD as spam/fraud.
Scam email enquiries