Possible overpayment scam via Abritel

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Dusty

Possible overpayment scam via Abritel

Post by Dusty »

I got an enquiry today (the first for a long time so was very heppy at first). Request was from erica b, no dates had been selected via Abritel (which raised my suspicions) but in her mail she was to rent our gite for 2 people in Sept. Bearing in mind that the gite sleeps 8 and is priced accordingly I thought this somewhat profligate, but responded anyway. I received a response almost immediately (suspicious again) saying she would like to book, her office would handle the payment direct to my bank account, could I supply my bank account details. She also gave her address and telephone number in the email. Googling the address shows its a valid address, but the telephone number is unavailable.

It all smells to me of an overpayment scam. "oh, my office has made a mistake and overpaid you, could you transfer the money back please". They disappear along the money paid into my account and the money I transferred them back.

The interesting thing is that she had even included a copy of her passport to build some confidence.

I am raising this here to raise awareness that this type of scam appears to be raising its head again, but with more 'validation' of identity etc.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I got exactly the same booking request today. This time when I phoned Homeaway they new all about it and asked me to report it as scam, so I am clearly not the only one who is getting this.
Renaud2

Post by Renaud2 »

Also received this. Second one in a week. First was from "er.bu",
and both sent straight to OD as spam/fraud.