Rentalo.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Marta Olszewska wrote:You are receiving e-mails from Rentalo for the following reasons:

- You have been referred by a traveler or a travel agent in our network who has given us your contact information while completing a survey after using a destination inquiry service.
I don't think I understand this. Do you mean that after a rental-seeker has used your site they are invited to fill in a survey, and suggest properties they have come across on the internet?

On another point: you may be in compliance with US spam laws (or not, I really don't know), but if you email European addresses you need to be in compliance with European law too, and in some countries, like the UK, those laws are different and more stringent. What is your position on this?

I am glad you have come on here to talk to us, because Rentalo has received quite a lot of bad press from owners.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Marta Olszewska

Broadcasting inquiries

Post by Marta Olszewska »

Ros,

I am glad you brought that up, it is an important issue.

Please understand that first of all we give our paid customers the preference. There is a time delay in broadcasting those inquiries. We sent our paid customers the offers from travelers first, then after sufficient time for them to answer, we broadcast them also to our referred owners for the simple reason to give travelers more options, if the first ones fail to answer or are already booked. Also, our paid clients receive all the information about the traveler, referred get only partial offer.

Warm regards,

rentalo.com
by Marta Olszewska
Owner's Community & Marketing Manager
(+1) 305.558.5577 ext 603 Int'l
http://rentalo.com
Last edited by Marta Olszewska on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marta Olszewska

Paolo,

You are close. In our surveys we ask travelers to recommend to us the properties that they book, if they booked it via another site. Many of them do it for two basic reasons:

1) They are helping other travelers get offers via rentalo

2) So that they may receive more offers from other properties via Rentalo in th future.

As for the other subject about EU policies and laws, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will investigate this subject more and compare US and European Laws in order to prevent any banned activities.

Kind regards,

Rentalo.com
by Marta Olszewska
Last edited by Marta Olszewska on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debk

Post by debk »

What's amusing to me is that over on the Yahoo Vacation Rental Forum (where Marta Olszewska just posted the same note that she posted here) they recently were joking about the fact that none of the Rentalo spam ever had ethnic sounding names. :wink:

As I type, they are winding these folks up big time over on Yahoo... much like playing out a 411. I've no time for participating but it certainly makes for some hilarious reading.
debk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Marta,
As for the other subject about EU policies and laws, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will investigate this subject more and compare US and European Laws in order to prevent any banned activities.

Maybe it would have been a GOOD IDEA to have done this before Spamming people....its an interesting concept do things and then find out later if its against a law?????!!!!! :evil:

PS.... I will give you a clue :!:

its against MY 'I DONT want to be spammed by a company that pretends theyve got an enquiry so that I will sign up with them LAW'
Marta Olszewska

Dear Ros,

Thank you for your advice.
If you do not want to receive inquiries from travelers from our site, just simply opt out, or I can help you with that. I already explained those are destination inquiries broadcasted by travelers that want to have more offers to choose from. If you choose not to reply those or belive they are fake, just unsubscribe not to get those anymore. I will be happy to help you with that.

Warm regards,

rentalo.com
by Marta Olszewska
Last edited by Marta Olszewska on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Dear Ros,

If you do not want to receive inquiries from travelers from our site, just simply opt out, or I can help you with that. I already explained those are destination inquiries broadcasted by travelers that want to have more offers to choose from. If you choose not to reply those or belive they are fake, just unsubscribe not to get those anymore. I will be happy to help you with that. :roll:
OPT OUT ,.....I NEVER opted in.... are you saying all the people who received Spam have signed up for it NO thats why its called 'SPAM' not 'legitimate enquiries' :evil:
Marta Olszewska

Ros,

You are right, you never opted in, but you were added to our database by traveler or travel agent that referred you to us. If you want to be removed from there, which is the main point here please either click on the link in an inquiry e-mail saying to unsubscribe (in your case it will be removing yourself from the database) or you can tell me about it personally at marta@rentalo.com.

Thank you,

rentalo.com
by Marta Olszewska
Last edited by Marta Olszewska on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

You are right
I know!!!!!!! :roll:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

you were added to our database by traveler or travel agent that referred you to us.
Sorry, but I don't see why that's an acceptable above-board practice, unless you also sent Ros a confirmation e-mail saying she'd been added and requiring that she confirm that she'd like to be added.

If I were receiving unsolicited messages (by which I mean, that I did not personally solicit them for myself) like this, I would probably report the messages to the company's web host as spam.
Brooke
Marta Olszewska

Confirmation E-mail

There is an e-mail we send right after a new owner has been referred. It gives two options: to register or to stop getting message like this. There is also possibility to contact us via Live Chat or Toll Free number in order to request a removal from our system or to register and hear more about us.

Warm regards,

rentalo.com
by Marta Olszewska
Last edited by Marta Olszewska on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rentalo.com
by Marta Olszewska
paolo

Post by paolo »

Marta,

What you are doing seems an awful lot like harvesting addresses and sending out unsolicited emails (i.e. spam). You need the opt-in before you send the email, not after.

I don't know US law on this but surely you can't add individuals' personal details to a database without their accord, just because a third party has supplied them to you.

Who are these agents you mention? Do they get rewarded for supplying you with owner's details?

Excuse me for saying that this unusual mode of operation sounds like a cover someone might come up with if they were harvesting and spamming to drum up business.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

paolo wrote:I don't know US law on this but surely you can't add individuals' personal details to a database without their accord, just because a third party has supplied them to you.[...]You need the opt-in before you send the email, not after.
Actually I believe they can do that (see what we have to live with... :)) I'm not defending Marta, nor am I a Rentalo client, or have any intention to become one, but there's only an opt-out requirement under FTC Law, no opt-in. So in that sense, what Rentalo is doing is not unusual in the US, but that doesn't make it ethical anywhere, or legal in other parts of the world.

Out of curiosity, I clicked on the link Marta kindly provided above to Rentalo's spam compliance policy, which in turn links to the US FTC Can spam Act, so you can check details for yourself. Several things jumped out at me from Rentalo's policy document as being mixed messages and doublespeak. These are not peculiar to Rentalo, and largely consistent with US Law. Here's a few examples:-
Our opt-out mechanism is able to process opt-out requests immediately in real time, and never exceed 30 days after we receive the request from the recipients.
Which is it, immediate or 30 days? Big difference. In 30 days, that email address could be part of a mailing list passed to affiliates and the person who opted out would never know to whom it had been given. Any spam they subsequently received as a result could not be tracked back to the original source, neither could the originator be held responsible for it.

Edited to add: Actually, I just checked FTC Law and specifically, when you receive an opt-out request, the law gives you 10 business days to stop sending email to the requestor's email address, not 30 days. So Rentalo might want to fix that statement before they find themselves on the wrong side of an $11,000 fine.
Rentalo.com does not help any other entity send email to those email addresses that have opted-out from Rentalo.com, nor have any other entity sending emails on Rentalo.com's behalf to the opted-out addresses.
The above statement is not inconsistent with:-
Rentalo does help another entity send email to those email addresses that have NOT opted-out from Rentalo.com, AND IT HAS another entity sending emails on Rentalo.com's behalf to the people who have NOT opted out.
Finally, Rentalo.com does not sell or transfer the email addresses of people who choose not to receive our emails, even in the form of a mailing list, unless we transfer the addresses so another entity that can comply with the law.
Which again is not inconsistent with:-
Rentalo does sell and transfer the email addresses of people who have not opted out, including in the form of a mailing list.

And although part of what they are saying does not make perfect sense, my reading allows the sale or transfer of a mailing list to another entity that includes the names that have already opted out. This is passing the buck for removing those people who have opted out and it isn't clear what that other entity can do with that mailing list after it has left the originator's hands. For example, it doesn't state that people are also automatically opted out of every other entity's mailing list to whom their address may have been sold/ passed during the intervening 30 day period. It may be that a person would have to opt-out of each solicitation that they subsequently receive on a case by case basis.

Perhaps Marta can clarify that aspect for us, but I'm fairly sure that the address of anyone who hasn't opted out of Rentalo is being sold on to other entities as part of a mailing list. That would be part of their revenue stream, no different from any other US corporation, including insurance companies, stores, credit card companies and the like, most likely other US based VR listing sites are doing exactly the same thing. Everything here requires a proactive opt-out, not an opt-in.
In addition to the above, Rentalo.com is not involved directly or indirectly in any of the following practices:

- "Harvesting" email addresses from Web sites or Web services that have published a notice prohibiting the transfer of email addresses for the purpose of sending emails.
Which is not inconsistent with:
Rentalo IS harvesting email addresses from websites or web services that have NOT published a notice prohibiting the transfer of email addresses for the purpose of sending email solicitations.

I am rather grateful to have discovered this wording for my website and am off now to add it, because it seems that without it, I have been fair game for data mining, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life opting out of everything.

I'm not meaning to say that Rentalo is engaged in any of the above activities, (it would be nice to know that they are not), I am simply suggesting that they could do it and still comply with their own anti-spam policy and current US Federal Law (I didn't check Florida State law). However, as others have said, EU Law is more stringent, and because web companies don't really know with whom they are dealing in terms of jurisdiction, it's my understanding that most worldwide corporations have changed their policies to be in compliance with the higher EU standard. So it's rather troubling to learn that Rentalo needed Paolo to tell them that other laws exist that are applicable to what they are doing.

Marta, I look forward to receiving your response to all of the above issues, unless you're too busy job-hunting... :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks all for your support, :wink:

Im sure a lot of other people must have been targeted as well.
Are there any that joined as a result of this sort of contact. :roll: and did the mysterious 'enquiry' turn into a booking :o .......

Also can I just ask if there are any other Rentalo clients out there and are you happy with there service. :?:
debk

Post by debk »

websites or web services that have NOT published a notice prohibiting the transfer of email addresses for the purpose of sending email solicitations.

I am rather grateful to have discovered this wording for my website and am off now to add it,
I will, too. Thank you, Joanna, for researching this.
debk