Where Expedia is heading

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Nigel Goodwin

Where Expedia is heading

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Interesting article.

https://www.ft.com/content/81d319ec-3be ... 27b8a20f23

I find almost nothing I agree with - product and technology focussed, not client (owner and guest) focussed.

$4bn annual advertising, most with Google, yet Google may become a competitor (see my other thread).

Voice search? What about giving guests the telephone numbers of owners?

It talks about heavily investing in technology, but I don't see any sign of that. Two or three good developers could develop and maintain a similar or better quality website. It may be necessary to have an army of support staff. A few people handling Google advertising is enough. Television advertising will cost to make adverts (see other threads about that).

I am seeing lots of advertisements for jobs with Expedia in data science, to help them target advertisements, but the job descriptions are not very exciting.

There are disrupters to Expedia out there, it will look different in 5 years time.
e-richard

Re: Where Expedia is heading

Post by e-richard »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:Interesting article..
Probably, but only if you pay to read it :cry:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Hmmmm... I read it via a LinkedIn link, but it seems it is now only for subscribers. It was an article about the Expedia CEO.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Try posting the Linkedn link. Many of us here are members there.
** Richard
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

e-richard wrote:Try posting the Linkedn link. Many of us here are members there.
Then you will know the chances of me ever finding the post on LinkedIn I clicked on are about 0.0001% :roll:

I think my summary covers most of it, as far as I can remember. It was talking about potential disruptors who will occupy the Expedia space, but didn't really identify anything. Went on about voice-operated technology, everything is booked for you when you say the magic words, including vacation, flight, car hire, concierge, batman, cook, personal tourist guide etc.

It also talked about bringing vacation rental bookings up to date and modern just as they have done with hotels :roll:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Yup, I've heard the gospel according to Dara Khosrowshahi before, so thanks anyway.
** Richard
COYS

Post by COYS »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:
e-richard wrote:Try posting the Linkedn link. Many of us here are members there.
Then you will know the chances of me ever finding the post on LinkedIn I clicked on are about 0.0001% :roll:

I think my summary covers most of it, as far as I can remember. It was talking about potential disruptors who will occupy the Expedia space, but didn't really identify anything. Went on about voice-operated technology, everything is booked for you when you say the magic words, including vacation, flight, car hire, concierge, batman, cook, personal tourist guide etc.

It also talked about bringing vacation rental bookings up to date and modern just as they have done with hotels :roll:
I know two more magic words for Emperor Dara.... F**k off.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I googled it and came to this link which showed me the full article, but the link appears to be the same as Nigel's. :roll: Not sure whether this will reveal all or not then. https://www.ft.com/content/81d319ec-3be ... 27b8a20f23

Edit: The same happens as with Nigel's link. Just google "expedia financial times article" and you should find the full article.
This alternative lodging is where independent hotels were 15 years ago,” Mr Khosrowshahi says. “We spent the past 15 years wiring up all these independent hotels, and we are just starting to do the same for alternative lodging.
This says it all really. We are just fodder for the mill.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Nemo wrote: Edit: The same happens as with Nigel's link. Just google "expedia financial times article" and you should find the full article.
Thanks. The google way works for me, but not the direct link.