Guests not happy with Owners Direct

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Dusty

Guests not happy with Owners Direct

Post by Dusty »

We had some guests leave on Saturday, continuing their holiday in Cognac. We received a phone call from them Sunday asking if they could come back as the place they had booked through Abritel/HomeAway was disgusting, filthy kitchen, pool etc. These aren't picky guests, if they could have fixed the problems themselves they would have done but the place was too bad for a something they could fix easily, it clearly wasn't just mess left over from the last guests, it was long term mess. Luckily we had availability and were able to accommodate them, but the reason for posting here is that they haven't been able to contact OD at all, despite hanging on the phone for hours (and getting cut off) and sending them an long email.

I really think that HA have lost the plot, its bad enough when they treat owners poorly, but it seems they are treating holiday makers even worse.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Remember, they are product and technology focussed, not guest or owner focussed.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I agree with that entirely Nigel, and we all know what happens to businesses when they lose their focus on their clients, the writing is on the wall.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Did they pay the service fee? Very, very poor if so and I'd say they have significant grounds for a complaint and refund from HA.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Jenster wrote:Did they pay the service fee? Very, very poor if so and I'd say they have significant grounds for a complaint and refund from HA.
Certainly grounds for complaint & a refund from the owner, who no doubt OD will bounce them back to.
The perfect illustration of why taking actual real life people out of the equation is not all it's cracked up to be.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

That's very interesting albeit a bit sad for the guests. I have asked my ha bookers and fee payers what they expect for the fee, 11% as I recharge my 3%. They seem to think ha will magic up a replacement on a Saturday night in peak season if booked villa is not satisfactory.

The reality is as posted, long wait on a premium line. So even if ha did magic up a replacement who is going to pay? If I had avails I would want money there and then.

I fear the service fee payers are being short sold.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Update from the guests today, they did eventually get a response from HA, who neatly stepped aside and pointed at the owners responsibilities and told them to negotiate with them, not what you'd expect given the fees they're charging, no attempt at mediating, nothing.

They have managed to talk contact the owner who at first said there was nothing wrong with the place but, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing has told them today they will get a full refund, but that won't include the HA service fee of course.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Dusty wrote:Update from the guests today, they did eventually get a response from HA, who neatly stepped aside and pointed at the owners responsibilities and told them to negotiate with them, not what you'd expect given the fees they're charging, no attempt at mediating, nothing.

They have managed to talk contact the owner who at first said there was nothing wrong with the place but, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing has told them today they will get a full refund, but that won't include the HA service fee of course.
Which merely proves what many have long fretted about - the much trumpeted service fee funded 'book with confidence guarantee' is purely for pocket lining.
When push comes to shove, for owners or guests, it is worth zip & you are on your own.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

What can I say service fee now proved 100% scam from OD. Remember my double booking last year and OD again stepped aside leaving me to sort out everything.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Then they should ask for the service fee to be returned and get the press involved. ....its just another scam after all.

Until it starts to get publicised people just won't be aware.

Mousie
x
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

They should also contact You and Yours on BBC radio 4 - they had a feature on OD not long ago, a complaint that they didn't warn owners about a particular scam when they should have done.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I am indeed encouraging them to pursue getting their service fee returned, but as they are Danish I don't know/can't recommend any particular avenues they can pursue wrt raising the profile publicly, unless someone here can suggest a way?
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I posted the body of your post on my villa website with a further explanation of ODs booking fees, etc. Have had some interesting reactions. I don't think most people fully appreciate what these sites are up to.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com