Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

How many hours to perform a Changeover?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Managing your property
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam V

Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonshine wrote:
I also do the changeovers myself on my small one-bedroom cottage and it takes me at least three hours. That's three hours if I'm really working hard all the time, but I much prefer having four hours so I can take time to have cups of tea and watch the odd race (horse!). I never really know why it takes so long, but it always seems to. And I do check absolutely everything.

Same here on our 1 bed, but excluding the racing! I can take days if there is no immediate booking, in fact I've got to get it ready for a booking when I return from holiday. I am considering getting a cleaner in though, although I'll probably still do some myself, like make the bed, etc. I've also perfected the art of rolling on the duvet cover!

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Frenchlady

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never stopped for a cuppa in 15 years of doing changeovers. Might grap a glass of water on the hoof. Would never get the work done in time if stopped .... and if we did stop we would not want to get going again. A bottle of wine is always calling us when we get home!!
Joanna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only done our 2 bedroom 1 bathroom cottage a couple of times (we're off site so usually use cleaners). It took around 1.5 hours when I did it with my husband and getting on for 4 hours when I did it on my own. That didn't include any garden tidying as we'd done that beforehand. So your timings sound about right to me.

I think if I was doing it regularly I could get more efficient - reduce the number of times I'm running up and down stairs by remembering to take everything I needed the first time and so on. But, then I know I would always use any time saved to do a bit of extra cleaning or gardening so I'm sure I would just fill the time available.

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
akwe-xavante

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all those that have contributed.

I'm happy and satisfied now that I'm about right and i'll continue to do what I'm doing.
elena

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martha said
I am curious about making a bed with two people! Share your techniques please. I can't work out how it's quicker with two, I must be missing something

Same here! Very Happy

I've tried on and off over the years to get help in the bed making dept and have never found it's quicker with two people ....I just end up frustrated waiting for the other personto get in sync ... Wink

Eagerly waiting for the techique tips!

Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
www.dordogne-holiday-villa.co.uk
greenbarn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elena wrote:
Martha said
I am curious about making a bed with two people! Share your techniques please. I can't work out how it's quicker with two, I must be missing something

Same here! Very Happy

I've tried on and off over the years to get help in the bed making dept and have never found it's quicker with two people ....I just end up frustrated waiting for the other personto get in sync ... Wink

Eagerly waiting for the techique tips!

Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
www.dordogne-holiday-villa.co.uk

Okay - Iíll come out of hiding...

A superking duvet cover.... In fact, anything to do with a superking as it involves looooong walks to the other side of the bed!
However, I take your point about being out of sync - if I ever try and help OH weíre invariably out of sync, and itís invariably my fault, so guess what Iíve learned from that....? Confused
Circť

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunk beds! Hate 'em, but much easier for 2 to do together. Ditto cheap nasty king-size duvet covers, where top n bottom stick to each other. Available at a large Scandanavian store chain and I LOATHE them.
JanB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbarn wrote:

However, I take your point about being out of sync - if I ever try and help OH weíre invariably out of sync, and itís invariably my fault, so guess what Iíve learned from that....? Confused

A man's place is........ In the wrong.
greenbarn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JanB wrote:
greenbarn wrote:

A man's place is........ In the wrong.

Close! Iíve learned a couple of things:

1) A manís place is in his cave.
2) A woman always has the last word in any argument. Anything the man says after that is the start of a different argument.

And the great philosophical question:
A man is standing alone in a forest full of trees. If the man says something, but there isnít a woman to hear him, does he still say the wrong thing? Confused
Sam V

Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this could be the start of a new topic in the Cafe?!

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Kate24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 bedroom apartment takes me anything from 3-6 hours.

Depending on whether I also do any laundry and ironing whilst I am there, whether the washing up was done properly, whether the windows need cleaning, skirting boards wiping, outdoor furniture cleaning etc.

I also tend to fill the time I have, to try and get ahead on the next one! I use Airbnb and usually leave at least 24 hours between bookings, most stays are 3-7 nights so sometimes the apartment is quite clean as for 3 days stays people tend to eat out and be out a lot of the time. I clean in the evenings when hubby is back from work, so he can be on child bedtime duty. Usually getting there about 5-6pm and staying until it's done. TV or music on, I don't really mind it - all good exercise!

Even after doing 80+ changeovers, I am getting quicker but can't seem to break the 3 hour minimum.

Also am a perfectionist though and will wipe surfaces even if they look clean and hoover everywhere. I think when it's your own business, it has to be right as our reputation depends on it. Terrified of a bad review!
Tournesol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: How many hours to perform a changeover? Reply with quote

Takes 2 of us a good couple of hours just to do our en-suite family room (Super king bed and two bunk beds). The shower cabin is the biggest pain in the arse as it has black plastic wall on 2 sides which show every mark. I put a squeegee in there but no-one ever uses it!
OH always reckons I am too fussy, moving out the furniture and cleaning behind/under and wiping the skirting boards etc.
He even says don't iron any bedding but I wouldn't want to stay in a place with crumpled bedding; it just looks as if the owners don't care.
I also find that if you show high standards the guests are more likely to take care of it.
GillianF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedding must be ironed. Unironed bedding shows slovenliness and, to me, suggests it might not have been washed.
Tournesol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: How many hours to perform a changeover? Reply with quote

Exactly!
And I bet if I were to do a poll amongst Chambres d'hote/B & B owners "Do you iron guests' bedding?" I'd find we all do, however much we hate ironing. (Especially in this 32 degree heat).
farley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. I take great pride in my beds, if they look good the rest of the room looks fab.
I did 'trial' not ironing the fitted sheets but it just looked like someone had slept in the bed😕
Managing your property