Recommended alternatives to Safe-T lights?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
tchn

Recommended alternatives to Safe-T lights?

Post by tchn »

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the Safe-T lights? Every guest/guest's child seems to take the torch out and ram it back in the wrong way damaging the fins. Even though I've nursed them back every visit for 3 years, the chances are they wouldn't be aligned properly in a genuine emergency, and they've cracked now anyway. It's a terrible design flaw.

I could replace them, but I'm wondering if anyone has had particular success with any others?

Thanks,
Tom
Moonshine

Post by Moonshine »

Don't know if this meets your requirements, but I provide a wind-up torch.
tchn

Post by tchn »

Thanks Moonshine - I should have made myself clearer. I'm looking for a light that comes on in a power cut as part of my fire procedures. The safe T light is perfect in that it serves as a night light, safety light and emergency torch, except that the fins make it easily broken by inquisitive children (which I've seen so many people complain about).
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I have a large house. I used to put torches in each bedroom and around the house for an emergency. But I'm not on site and can't check them regularly. Some of them used to disappear over the season.

So last year I had emergency lighting installed by my electrician. It's not required by law for my size of property but is very reassuring, both for myself and visitors. A number of the latter have commented on it, especially after Grenfell.

Still keep the torches though. Mainly used for walks to/fro the pub in the evening. I don't supply nightlights - something to think about. Thanks for the idea.
The best things in life are free
Pixiepower

Safety lights

Post by Pixiepower »

We have the quantek 3 in 1 lights from Amazon, I think they were recommended on here.
They come on in a power cut and also have a night light option.
The torches fit in a cup but don't need to be orientated so not much to break.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We had exactly the same problem. We've taken the safe T lights home and replaced them with the Quantek lights. They're much better - no fins to align, the torches just sit in the base.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I also have the Quantek 3 in 1 and I put them on a high shelf which are not reachable for a small child. Could you do that? I used to have wind up torches (so they could walk to the pub in the dark) but children broke them over and over. I had replaced torches with batteries but again, I think they were used as playthings as the batteries died so quickly. Now I just have the Quantek.
tchn

Post by tchn »

Thanks all. Our power sockets are all low, so I can't keep them away from kids sadly, but those induction loop ones sound better and I replace with them.
Tom
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I liked the sound of the Quantek 3 in 1 and so looked at Amazon france. 75.87 € + 2 € delivery. Amazon Uk £20 each plus free delivery!

Anyone any ideas if they are available in france (with french plugs) cheaper anywhere else?
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I have the same issues with Safe-T Lights as the rest of you.

I sent the designer a message about the design. We had quite a long conversation about his design choices and I challenged him on his design choice. He said he had invested a lot of money on the tooling and design to meet EU energy saving requirements. His design is very efficient in comparison with an induction charging system (I would agree based on my understanding of the electronics).

He stated that many of the alternatives did not meet EU energy saving regulations. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was something like £5 a year to run his lamps vs £25 to run a non compliant induction design. His argument would stand up but ONLY if his devices remained useful for more than 3 months which they don't. Its a shame really as I would rather support his design which had all the right goals but ironically for a holiday rental market just doesn't stack up. I seem to remember he said he had won some big orders for the oil and gas market where workers need an emergency light. I wish him the best of luck.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

ianh100 wrote:I have the same issues with Safe-T Lights as the rest of you.

I sent the designer a message about the design. We had quite a long conversation about his design choices and I challenged him on his design choice. He said he had invested a lot of money on the tooling and design to meet EU energy saving requirements. His design is very efficient in comparison with an induction charging system (I would agree based on my understanding of the electronics).

He stated that many of the alternatives did not meet EU energy saving regulations. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was something like £5 a year to run his lamps vs £25 to run a non compliant induction design. His argument would stand up but ONLY if his devices remained useful for more than 3 months which they don't. Its a shame really as I would rather support his design which had all the right goals but ironically for a holiday rental market just doesn't stack up. I seem to remember he said he had won some big orders for the oil and gas market where workers need an emergency light. I wish him the best of luck.
I also had a conversation with this guy - very positive, but like you - it doesn't change the fact that my lights are unusable a short time after they have be employed. He was very accommodating and sent me a few extra charging plugs FOC, but of course, the same thing happened to them. I'm just waiting to receive this : Not sure that it will give the same functionality, but I will report back. The Quantum ones are not a possibility for me because they only appear to be available with a UK plug.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

So it came today - 21.99€ on Amazon or two for 39.99€.

It is much more stylish than the Safe-T-Light and also has a motion sensor which makes it light up the front panel someone passes. So all the features of the Safe-T-Light and more. It is an induction charger, so maybe has the problem that Ian mentions with regard to energy consumption. But it does have a CE conformity mark, so how can I check if it conforms to EU Energy Saving requirements?

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01I39 ... UTF8&psc=1[/url]