DO I BITE THE BULLET ? www.chateaulasserre.com

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Sallys Chateau

DO I BITE THE BULLET ? www.chateaulasserre.com

Post by Sallys Chateau »

Would love some feedback on my one page website. I know I have to supply more pics as have just changed text and put in French and Spanish version also. So the question is : Do I

: Bite the bullet and go for more pages ? or
Stay as I am for another season ?

Thanks to everyone looking so far.

P.S I'm a Snail with a tough shell so just tell me straight if there's anything that puts you off!!

P.P.S Limited budget available
A-two

Post by A-two »

Snail,
I think it's fine. As you say, you need to change the repeat photos for interior shots, but it's refreshing to see good size photos. Not sure if having everything on one page makes it too long to load on dial-up, but I'm on high speed cable and it's fine.

If you do make more pages, you'll need a menu bar to link back to other pages. Also, if you can work out a way to get the link to the map to appear as a pop-up page, it won't take you away from your website. At the moment, if you click that, there's no way to get back to your page, except using the back button. I'm no techie expert, but the code I use for something to appear in a new window is "_new" or "_target" in front of the http.

Finally, you might want to lighten the bright blue background. Gorgeous color, but the tone is too close to the black, which makes it hard on the eyes to read. I would go for a pastel blue. Also, I would avoid an underline on headings, as people tend to read those as links and try to click them. Instead, you could make them a larger size of bold type, and maybe the bright blue would look good on the headings.

Good Luck!
enid

Post by enid »

I like it :D I agree with Joanna about the background colour (old eyes here!) Another thing that would help as there is so much text on one page is to have heading in bold or another font to help the reader access the text and return to specific sections.

I look forward to seeing some internal shots.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I liked it too :D The colour was fine for me but I suspect a lighter blue would be better for a wider range of people.You tantalise us with the interior shots at the top, I look forward to seeing them elsewhere ! I think people want to see what their bedroom,kitchen and sitting rooms are like at the least. Good luck, :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Sallys Chateau

websites

Post by Sallys Chateau »

Gosh I've had a massive hit on the old stat counter (via Lay My Hat) and I had a peek at your website too Fraise. Very professional and clean looking, did you take your own piccies ? I'm rather at the mercy of the website designer now I'm sure they get irritated if you keep on changing. Of course the interior to the gite is completely different to the main house so people could end up confused as I only have the one page. And ultimately get upset, heaven forbid !
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi. I did take the piccies but have replaced 4 of them now with ones that someone else took as they were better than mine- I only have a basic digi camera. My husband ended up building our website with some help from the lovely people here, esp Tony ( Living in Italy) and Paolo :lol: We had paid someone to "do" our website for us, then he was unable to finish it so we had to just get on with it! It all turned out for the best as we can now upload our new piccies whenever we want to and I'm always tweaking the text or updating prices, availability etc. There are some lovely,helpful and generous people on LMH :lol:
Last edited by Fraise on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garlic

Post by garlic »

Your place looks amazing...I think it would be great to have more pics...could you do them yourselves? I understand limited budget, got one of my own but if you can do the pages yourself then it's really not expensive.
Steve

snails pace

Post by Steve »

Hiya, a lovely looking place. Might even pop down myself! But why six photos of the same shot of the swimming pool and three of the same shot of the balcony? I loaded several times and got the same result each time -- high speed broadband access. Seems a lot of space on the left hand side at the top as well. Think it needs a bit of work, but a beautiful place indeed.
Steve
Onward and upward!
Sallys Chateau

I must get into gear

Post by Sallys Chateau »

Thank you for all your helpful comments and taking the time to look at my website, which is still under construction, as I had lengthened the text but did not have photo's which I was happy with all the photo's have just been repeated down. Up to me to supply the shots to the website designer ! I'm working on it right now.