Guest complaints about loir in the attic

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Morristhedog

Guest complaints about loir in the attic

Post by Morristhedog »

It seems there are loir in the attic.

I broke my femur on July 2 and have been in hospital, until just now, and I am still not able to walk and go to see.

The first guests on July 8th complained about the noise. I sent a man twice to check out the position. The guests left disgruntled at their lack of sleep after a week.

The man I sent was supposed to have poisoned the intruders. The new people came for a week and made no mention of intruders in the loft. I thought the mission was accomplished.

There are sonic devices in action on the property as a precaution to deter ordinary mice, apparently the loir are hard of hearing.

The new guests ripped a hole in the pool cover, a sort of hand sized hole on the edge suggestive of roughly dragging the cover. They also broke a slat on a garden chair, according to the grass cutters. Looked like they stood on it to adjust the parasol?

I deducted an amount from the damage deposit and paid the balance to them.

Their response, made by the mother, is to say they think high winds caused the tear in the pool cover, and that they know nothing of the damaged chair. The lady went on to say that because I was just out of hospital, she had not previously mentioned the rat infestation in the loft that kept them awake, and she felt in respect of this I should return the rest of the deposit.

I guess the loir are still active then? So I have two queries for fellow gite owners to advise up on.

What should I do about the damaged pool cover? For me it is plainly due to the rough management of it.

What should I do about the damaged chair? What do other people do when guests use chairs to stand on to adjust parasols? (I am guessing this was the cause)

Finally what in heck do I do about the darned loir? Apparently, I have just found, they are a protected species in France and in any case they don't die when eating apple and rat poison delights.

I have seen the thread about loir on here.

Currently, since Saturday, there are new guests in there, either the loir have gone, or the guests are deaf, or the guests are too polite to complain.

Please give me your opinions?

Thank you.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Re the damage you have a choice. You either back down or stick to your guns and probably only you can decide how you feel about doing either.

The loir are another matter. We had guests complain about "rats running about in the loft" and Mrs. Guest was particularly worried because they had a young baby and she was worried the rat would come down and bite it.

We think it was loir in the loft and got rid of them by leaving a radio playing up there. The animals were disturbed and disappeared. Once you're sure they're gone you need to seal your eaves etc. with wire mesh to stop anything else getting in.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Thanks Gillian.

The eaves are sealed. The place was pointed, and it isn't at all easy to see where the loir could get in from the outside. I read they can get in, along with snakes, through the roof tiles? Roof seems in good state.

I like your radio idea. Maybe I will get a tranny. There is a light up there, and I think I will leave that on also....
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Get well soon, Morris.
Wishing you a speedy recovery from what must be a very painful injury.

Edited to add: I have to confess I have just needed to google loir to see what sort of furry animal they are. I'm sure everyone else knows they are "edible doormice" and it's just me who didn't.

(Perhaps you could leave a note for your guests and explain they are part of the welcome pack in case anyone gets hungry????....... :D :D)
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

we have had loir problems for years - humane traps are the only answer - they love walnuts & apples. My husband rehomed 45 of them last year (we drive them 5km away & let them out onto a field well away from other houses) so far this year we have only rehomed 5, so hoping we are catching them before they reproduce. We have traps in all roof spaces... As to damage, if no photo evidence & guests deny it, then just put it down to wear & tear.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

PS when guests have complained in the past about loir - have shown them a cute picture I have of one & explained about Romans & edible doormice being protected - makes them seem cuter & guests slightly more tolerant. Either that or lie & say it is red squirrels playing on the roof!!!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

You're right Morristhedog, Loir are a protected species and so as petitbois a humane trap is the answer, but not easy if you're incapacitated and its not easy to find someone else to check them everyday. Are you sure its loir, rooks, crows and magpies are all very nosy this time of year and can make a lot of noise when they are dancing around on your tiles in the hobnail boots?

As to the damage, we seem to get through garden chairs each year and class them as collatoral damage I'm afraid. The pool cover is different and you need to consider how much hassle its worth holding back some of the deposit. Its its an old cover then I would be inclined to put it down to experience.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

It is loir. They are not on the roof but in the roof space, and kitchen wall according to the guest. I can only access the roof space from the trap door in the bathroom ceiling in the gite.

A humane trap would need to be checked daily and the place is let until September. I am just glad the current guests aren't complaining.

I have been told that a radio in the loft would move them on, but a radio up there would drive me nuts frankly, if I were a guest!