I've been an idiot

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
la vache!

I've been an idiot

Post by la vache! »

Just a word of warning for the more trusting amongst you! I've never been let down before by a potential booker, but have been this week. A couple of months ago I had an enquiry followed by a booking for my big house for the half term week. I said as it was so close, I'd like all of the rental, rather than just a deposit. Fine he said and confirmed he'd sent off the cheque. 2 weeks later, no cheque. He contacted me, worried I'd not received it as he definitely wanted the booking. I said we'd wait another week (if something isn't sent airmail to France it can take 3 weeks) but nothing arrived. I told him this and said he should cancel the cheque and do a bank transfer, he agreed. I sent him my account details, but no payment went through. I e mailed him twice last week to query, but have had no response, so I assume everything has fallen through. I think he is extremely rude not to have had the courtesy to cancel earlier.
I am always fully booked for half term week and had I not reserved the house for him in good faith, I could have rented it to someone else, so I'm £500 worse off!
I can just hear Joanna saying 'serves you right' and she is quite right, but I've never been let down in this way before, the payment has always eventually arrived. I'll be tougher in future and set deadlines!
roxytoo

idiot

Post by roxytoo »

same thing happened to me this August Susan so don't feel bad! And as you say a lesson learnt as I will be tougher too! But he seemed soooooooooo plausible, cheque was in the post,must have got lost so I'll have to cancel it, will do a bank transfer, bank says it will take a week to set up as its a buisness account, monies never arrived, oh yes he def wanted it!! This was for 12 days peak time in August, I eventuallyy did rent it out to someone else but at a much reduced rate just to get the booking :oops:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Susan,

Sorry to hear your booking has fallen through - it's incredible how some people will let you down. Luckily, as you say, it doesn't happen often.

I'm like you - I have faith in people's integrity and on the whole I think most people are trustworthy.

Payment deadlines are a good idea - that's how I do it. Then I give them a few days more and query by email.
So far, so good. Fingers crossed.

Hope you manage to get a last-minute booking, at least.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jenny wrote:Hope you manage to get a last-minute booking, at least.
Me too Susan - that's rotten luck, and so unjust, since you have put your trust in him and been patient.

But life is circular, as we've said before...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

How terrible, I let an xmas enquiry go, as I was certain I was going to receive the deposit, but she then changed her mind. I will not make the same mistake again.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The only positive is that profit margins are not great in October due to the heating needed and my lovely cordes of dried oak will remain intact for a while (I'm getting very French and posessive over my woodpile now) - I've taken so many bookings for April that I'll need a lot of it left for then anyway.
I've also had two bookings today for next June for my larger cottages, one a recommendation from someone else who stayed last year, so I don't feel too bad now!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Susan :D

What an absolute shame.....I hope something turns up.
Trouble is when you a nice person and are being straight with people you think theyre being straight back....
and theyre not always.
It is a lesson learned but hopefully it wont change the way you deal with people.
A few bad things have happened similar to this on the Forum and sometimes good things happen unexpectedly afterwards lets hope this is one of those times..... :wink: :D
A-two

Re: I've been an idiot

Post by A-two »

I can just hear Joanna saying 'serves you right' and she is quite right, but I've never been let down in this way before, the payment has always eventually arrived. I'll be tougher in future and set deadlines!
Not at all Susan, it could happen to any of us for a last minute booking. If he was the only inquiry, then it was worth giving the person the benefit of the doubt. I have learnt not to trust last minute bookings until I see the money, but it wouldn't stop me, I just don't count on it or block the calendar anymore. If it happens, it's a bonus.

To get over the time delay for international cheques to arrive, I will confirm the booking on the basis of a fax copy of the cheque attached to the bottom of the signed contract. I think if someone goes to the trouble of signing the contract, writing the cheque out, taping it to the agreement, then sending an international fax, they definitely mean business and will mail it. Then I don't mind waiting the 10 days or so for the cheque to arrive. I do this routionely for all bookings, last minute or not. I don't have many last minute bookings, but those I do are mainly from Manhattan, and easy for them to Fedex a check overnight. USPS Priority Mail is only 3 days Coast to Coast, so I never need to allow more than 3-5 working days, wherever they are in the world.
I sent him my account details, but no payment went through.
I'm more worried about this part. Isn't that what scammers do? (Try and get your bank details).

Bad Luck.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Susan

As they say 'you live and learn' and at the end of the day you have to set your own deadlines and stick to them. The only trouble I've had is with a set of returners funny enough. I changed to balance within 8 weeks this year as a few people ignored the 6 weeks before BUT this guy ran rings round me. 8 weeks became 6, cheque arrived unsigned, no reply to e-mail, so decided to cancel, then surprise suprise a grovelling e-mail, by week 4 had to ring and agree bank transfer, week 3 still no money.....they were waiting for a password, said cheque must arrive within 2 days or booking cancelled, cheque arrived, lesson learnt :x But hey, they're coming back next year...mental note....start reminders 10 weeks before for this guy.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
A-two

Post by A-two »

Partridge wrote:...mental note....start reminders 10 weeks before for this guy.
Partridge, you're so right. I had one late payer this year who was a brilliant guest and was very embarrassed that he forgot a payment. When he rebooked immediately for 2007, the only request he made was that I would send him payment reminders. Don't mean to beat the same old drum, but Rentalbot is the only place that offers the property owner a system to set up autopayment reminders, to the best of my knowledge, information and belief. And no, I don't have a stake in it other than as a satisfied customer not wanting to lose an invaluable service, but they are an emerging business that needs support, so please enroll!!!!

www.rentalbot.com
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks Joanna, :D

I will!....Its worth a wiggle...
How long have you been with them...never heard of em before.....or am I being more dense than normal.... :wink: :roll: :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Partridge :D

Do you really think your client forgot....and then forgot to sign the cheque...I think he was short of funds and was stalling.......
Had a similar thing happen but it was only the deposit ,but it was peak weeks 2 houses £360...she was sending it Monday...sorry forgot...youll have it by Friday....Ive posted it cant believe you havent....
I actually believed her.... :shock:
that sort of thing went on for a couple of weeks about 4 phone calls later I was worried in case someone else had got it.
...couldnt get her ..didnt answer emails ,,phoned...not in...she will ring you back.. texxed no reply 3 days this went on.
So I emailed saying that I was rebooking...I will send another chq the other one must have got lost...
The day I received it she texed me twice emailed me and rung to see if it had arrived...
I didnt answer for a few days...when I did I said I will let you know when the first chq comes , surprisingly it never did!!!

Ive made a mental note to ask for money early...and state that if its not received by the due dates the deposit will be forfeited..should have really cancelled it I think.....wish I had... :roll:
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Funnily enough I've only ever had this problem with people I know. Friends of friends, people I know through work etc.

I always find it really hard to deal with this situation (when they are known to me) so I find it much easier to rent to strangers. :?
CostaBlanca

Re: I've been an idiot

Post by CostaBlanca »

Joanna wrote:
I sent him my account details, but no payment went through.
I'm more worried about this part. Isn't that what scammers do?
Joanna, All my guests pay by either internet banking or credit transfer from their own bank accounts. For internet banking in the UK, only account name, sort code and account number is required. I receive the money on the same day from accounts of the same bank as mine or within 3 days from any other UK bank. Unlike Fraise´s banking disaster, I have had no problems so far giving out my banking details. Banking security is tighter now. When I was robbed of my cards, cheque book, internet access some months back, I even had problems getting my bank to process new instructions over the phone because seemingly I failed to answer one of the numerous security questions correctly :? As I was already pretty stressed out about the mugging, I was annoyed at the time but later realised the security was in place so that robbers could not ring/fax without answering security questions. I also return the security deposit by internet banking so in turn my guests have to give me their bank details.

Saludos, Maria
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Just skipping briefly back to La Luz's general point.....
LaLuz wrote:so I find it much easier to rent to strangers. :?
...though this observation has been made before, nothing changes, sad to say. Your nearest and dearest can't seem to regard the rental thing seriously as your business, and it's human (goat?) nature to appreciate something more if you've had to make some sort of effort for it. The worst experience we had was at the hands of relatives of our vendors; given hefty discount - asked loads and loads of questions and had me turning myself inside out prior to arrival, then slow to send their deposit, slow to pay the balance, left the house a pigsty, and despite being requested to lock up and hide the key when going, departed having left doors unsecured and windows wide open. Our rellies from NZ who were invited to stay this Sept free of charge and were there 12 days, took ages to give me an arrival/departure date so I could accept bookings on either side of their slot ....just didn't get it, despite having had months and months to plan their trip!

I have had payment by bank transfers sometimes, both to our UK account and French one, with no problems so far, though have to admit I still prefer a good old cheque in the post! Probably not logical! :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be