Recommendations for insurance covering dogs

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ali51

Recommendations for insurance covering dogs

Post by Ali51 »

We have a holiday home we are letting out and would be happy to allow dogs but I can't find an insurance company that would provide cover related to the dogs i.e. for accidental damage. Can anyone recommend an insurance company that covers this please? Thanks
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Only this week I'm told that a relative of a friend had damages caused by a dog in a FHL in recent weeks. Guest initially admitted liability and voluntarily (Verbally) said they would pay for repairs. On returning home they changed there minds. The insurance company are refusing to pay out too.

Damage came to several hundreds I understand. Three new doors, a TV and a full set of bed linen destroyed I understand.

EDIT: I emailed my broker and asked if I was covered, I'm not and his reply said that he knows of no insurance company that will cover for dog related damages. He goes on to say that I would have to try and get the guests to pay up or take them to court or live with it.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks for this thread. I'm also going to check with my broker. I'm supposing that insurance companies don't see dogs chewing things as accidental. It's deliberate by the dog, and lack of control/poor training by the owners.
I do have strict terms and conditions specifically for dog owners, including dogs are never to be left alone in the house unless caged.

As a next step I'm going to
. Beef up terms and conditions to specifically include lead Booker liability for dog damage, and
. Advise dog owners to have appropriate insurance for their holiday

Any other suggestions welcome please.
The best things in life are free
joddle

Post by joddle »

We allow pets but our rules are strict.

1) Substantial damage deposit which does not get returned until after 1 week after they leave - this is because fleas often don't show until then and we have had that three times now.

2) Strict understanding that we take no responsibility for pets welfare - that is entirely the owners responsibility. We even state that the property cannot be guaranteed to be pet proof and therefore pets may be able to escape if not under owner control.

Most people accept that OK and since we have had the larger deposit we have had no problems with pets and deposits have been returned in full.

I don't think conditions like pets must be caged etc. can work - how can you enforce it? If you have a load of their money which they might not get back, its surprising how well behaved pets will be :)

One person thought our deposit arrangement too steep and did not book because of that - but then again if his animals were well behaved he should not have been worried so maybe it was for the best!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks joddle. I will now include your no.(2) in T&C. May I ask what amount of dog deposit you take?

Take your point about caging pets. In the end we can't enforce any of the rules as we are not there with the visitors but I feel I've covered myself if I ever had any damage costs to recover. Fortunately I've never been in that position but one needs to be prepared.
joddle

Post by joddle »

For up to two weeks the deposit for pets is 220 euros for holiday rentals and for long term rentals the combined deposit is 1.5 times the months rent. Its just high enough to have a real ouch factor if lost and not so much to make it prohibitive. In the holiday rentals I doubt it would cover any excessive damage such as a broken TV but so far it has not needed to! Its more to make people think rather than penalise.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks joddle.
Ali51

Post by Ali51 »

thanks all
Ali51

Post by Ali51 »

I also posted my question on another page and someone gave me this link to an insurance company that does cover pets http://www.schofields.ltd.uk/holiday-home-insurance-uk/
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

akwe-xavante wrote:Only this week I'm told that a relative of a friend had damages caused by a dog in a FHL in recent weeks. Guest initially admitted liability and voluntarily (Verbally) said they would pay for repairs. On returning home they changed there minds. The insurance company are refusing to pay out too.

Damage came to several hundreds I understand. Three new doors, a TV and a full set of bed linen destroyed I understand.

EDIT: I emailed my broker and asked if I was covered, I'm not and his reply said that he knows of no insurance company that will cover for dog related damages. He goes on to say that I would have to try and get the guests to pay up or take them to court or live with it.
If they've got plenty of photographic evidence and proof they had a dog with them on the booking form, etc. I'd definitely take them to small claims. It can be done online. I did one a year ago ruled in my favour but they've still not paid, I'll persue it in my own time knowing in the meantime with a CCJ he will struggle with getting and credit/rental agreements.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com