Interviewing for housekeeper/cleaner

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
amandajane

Interviewing for housekeeper/cleaner

Post by amandajane »

Morning everyone,

Looking for some of the guaranteed LMH wisdom here.

For many years I had a lovely reliable couple looking after our cottage (we are 200 miles away) but sadly one of them had a heart condition , in the middle of August a few years back, and they had to retire immediately.
Luckily I found a management company who took it on and did a good job at first but now they are getting bigger and we have mutually decided it's time to part. They want to move towards less individual properties and cater for apartments in blocks that can be turned over more quickly, and I'm not always happy with the presentation of the cottage when they employ so many different cleaners.

So, having placed an ad locally I currently have about six possibles. I can't get down to meet them for a couple of weeks so I'm hoping that will weed out any that just answered on the spur of the moment and will go cold on the idea in the next few days.

I'm wondering if anyone who's had to do this regularly has any standard questions? One of the cleaning companies I spoke to said don't be put off by youth, as some younger girls work really hard. Do you insist on taking up references? If so, do you ask for written ones or just a phone call?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I was given interesting advice many years ago which was to interview your potential cleaners in their own homes.
That way you see what their standards are - however, you need to take that with a pinch of salt as my home may not reflect the standards I want my cottage to be!!! :D

References can be useful if they are from a company or business, but personal references are probably worthless.

You need to know how reliable they will be, how much notice they would give you if they want to go on holiday etc as there is nothing worse than being let down last minute. Have you thought about a cleaner and a relief cleaner just in case? Or cleaners that would do changeovers on different days so that you can be more flexible with your bookings??
Circé

Post by Circé »

If you're looking for a housekeeper/caretaker who'll do more than just clean as per your instructions, that's to say he/she/they will sort out all your major & minor problems you must let them view your property before you interview. They they will want to assess the amount and difficulty of the work involved, quiz you on what's to be done and assess you and and your standards.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Yes, what Circé said above.

Also, let the housekeeper do all the talking. Instead of outlining the work you want done, ask HER (HIM) what they think needs doing, how long it will take etc.

Interviewing is an art, not a science, and I do not believe in those fancy tests and tricks. Conversation in a friendly atmosphere works wonders.

Way back in my early business days, I recruited some of my best employees over a pint in the pub. Those who offered to buy me a drink usually got preference and one even went on to become the Managing Director !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !