Is lack of a proper wardrobe a major problem....?

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
JanB

Is lack of a proper wardrobe a major problem....?

Post by JanB »

I am in the process of renovating two bedrooms in my old characterful cottage for B&B.

One of the rooms is not very large but has a spacious en-suite with bath and separate walk in shower.

To make the bedroom less cramped, I wonder whether removing the wardrobe and just having chest of drawers which doubles as dressing table with a nicely done wall mounted hanging bar with six or seven hangers for clothes would work.... Or am I risking guest dissatisfaction?
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I suppose it depends on so many things.
What is your average or max length of stay?
When you say characterful, that could mean anything from quirky, unusual or stylish to dilapidated, so maybe hangers on hooks is appropriate or maybe its "cheap". Of course your views may be different from guest views, but it may help to stand back and think like a guest.

My guess is that you could probably make a feature/benefit out of it and even mention in your publicity/website/listing why its that way.

e.g. Is the bathroom actually bigger than the bedroom ? I'd find that amusing and "characterful" :D
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We have done this in our third bedroom. We have a tall chest of drawers, a bedside cabinet and 2 small post rails on the wall that would take 2-3 hangers each. We also have some hooks on the back of the door.

We have never had any comments and I find many hotels are similar these days.
Goscar

Post by Goscar »

I couldn't agree more. Wardrobes are not the most attractive items of furniture and take up much too much room. Have you considered a cheval mirror with hanging space?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I have to say that not having a wardrobe is a pet hate of ours.....especially my husband who cares deeply about his clothes. :lol:

It is frustrating to arrive on holiday and be arguing over hangers. And I don't like seeing clothes hung up when in bed.

Just an alternative view.

Mousie
x
JanB

Post by JanB »

Thank you all for your comments and different perspectives, which are so helpful for me.

We will only be having guests for short breaks of one or two nights, so hopefully the need for masses of hanging space is minimised.

The space I am thinking about have a hanging space is in a recess, so not in full sight and the room looks so much better without such a large piece of furniture that I think perhaps I will see how it works and can always put the wardrobe back again if there is adverse reaction.

I am enjoying the process but it is amazing how many small considerations have presented themselves, before even the first guests have arrived....!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I agree with both sides. I can cope without a wardrobe if given enough hooks/hangers, but get very dissatisfied when given no hanging option at all. If it's in a recess then so much the better, but like Mousie I prefer not to see the clothes at all. :) I also dislike not having drawers or a place to put my bits and pieces that I don't want in the bathroom. It's a problem isn't it with small rooms!
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Could the recess take a pretty curtain?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Curtains will need cleaning often.
A hanging space will be the min to supply. Sometimes business persons will need to hang day time wear. Sometimes a guest of a wedding, christening etc will need somewhere to store clothes without creasing.
Some of you may be horrified by the colour but in real life this accented clothing area works quite well. Added that the design is simple and easy to clean. Found it easy to use too.

certainly much better than this
Is also is not a neat solution
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

If it is only for two or three nights max then I think that a few hooks on the wall, or in your case an alcove, and supplied coathangers is quite sufficient. We have done this in our guest room at home, we took out a rather inefficient built in wardrobe that had those very irritating sliding doors, and built a new cupboard that I use for all our linen and towel storage. There are bedside tables with three small drawers in each. Most people who come to stay at home with us are for one night, or max three and find this arrangement satisfactory.
We used to have the hook/hanger arrangement at our sailing club in the room we stay in occasionally. That worked fine for us, five nights staying. They have now 'smartened up' the room and put a wardrobe in, which takes up quite a bit of space, and I find totally redundant. I was told it is because weddings are sometimes held there now and the guests who use the rooms like wardrobes.
Tournesol

Is a lack of proper wardrobe...

Post by Tournesol »

What about one of those canvas covered shelves/hanging space combinations?
That's what we're thinking of doing so we can turn the single fitted wardrobe into a washbasin alcove in our non-ensuite room.
Or do people think they are really naff?!
What you've never had you never miss!