Trees and insurance

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Martha

Trees and insurance

Post by Martha »

In the UK, house insurance normally covers damage to a building by falling trees.

I recently contacted our French insurers (Allianz) as we bought a wooded piece of land, directly next to the chalet

They have said that, now the trees belong to us, if they fall onto the house, we are not covered by insurance, unless the commune declares a 'natural disaster' as it did a few summers ago. We're only covered if someone else's trees fall on us.

I'd prefer not to move insurers as I've otherwise been very happy with Allianz but it might be a necessity as this seems like a very basic requirement to me.

They explained it as "you can't claim if they are your trees because you can't claim against yourself". I see what they mean about the legal fine point but it's not very useful as insurance is it? It should be seen as accidental damage, and I want to be covered for it!

Does anyone here have recommendations for insurance that does cover this?

I am investigating Credit Agricole (Pacifica) and also the UK based companies like Schofields and Insuremyvilla.

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations and advice! :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Martha,
Aren't you covered in the 'tempête, grele et neige' clause? If your tree fall is due to severe weather normally your insurance should cover you.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I thought we would be too!

I could understand them saying, not if it just falls out of the blue, because that could be a maintenance issue. But it's only if the commune declares a natural disaster.

This happened a few summers ago, there were hurricane force winds, trees down all over the place. One estimate was that 5% of all the trees in valley were lost that night. (All ours made it)

I've asked them twice to confirm and they are very clear, we are not covered for damage in a storm other than a natural disaster. :(
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm with Pacifica and I've found that although they are a little more expensive than other companies their guarantees are usually much better. I'm very surprised too, just as well you checked!
Martha

Post by Martha »

Thanks LV I will look into Pacifica :)
(edit - although having asked around locally, so far I have a chorus of disapproval for them :( )

Once I have a few quotes I will try re-approaching Allianz to see if there is anything they can do - I'm very happy with them and they have an office here who are always most helpful, but none of this is much good if they won't insure for a potentially huge issue like this!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Do people disapprove because of the cost? I've made a few claims (storm damage and once for a car breakdown) and there has never been an issue paying out.
JP

Post by JP »

I own a couple of HA of land away from our house, they are classified as a vineyard and wooded area but are mainly now just wooded.
I was informed when we signed for the land that we were required by law to insure against such things and I have it as an addition on our house insurance with AXA.
Martha

Post by Martha »

No it's not the price....a lot of the resentment is focused on the local loss adjuster who is apparently very unpleasant to deal with. Three people got in touch with me with stories of rudeness, ludicrously low payments and big problems getting answers. Many more people responded just saying "Don't!"

It might be just a regional thing? I'm glad your experience had been better!