New Tax Sejour Ruling

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Frenchlady

New Tax Sejour Ruling

Post by Frenchlady »

This year the way we pay our tax sejour in France has changed. We have been told that they assume we will be full from early July to end of August and have told us the figure we will have to pay them based on our B&B sleeping 5. Firstly we rarely have 5 people. One of our rooms has a double and a single bed which means we can take couples who like a double bed or singles so it is flexible. They have just assumed this figure. Their sums do not add up as we are never full in July which can be difficult to fill sometimes (we do not take children). With all our room nights for the whole season so far we are not up to the total figure they expect to take from us. I am not paying the figure they quoted which is stealing from me. If I have not taken the money from the guests then they are expecting me to pay them from my own pocket when I have not even taken that money from the guests. Even the tax man does not take money from me that I have not earned. Why don't they go after all the unregistered B&Bs that are advertising on B.com & Airbnb etc. Leave us that do everything as we should alone. They also say if you have taken more bookings than they have quoted then you will benefit as you still only pay the figure they have quoted. Again surely that is stealing. The money has been taken from the guests in good faith and it is ok to keep that money!!
Pirou

Post by Pirou »

That means that if someone has friends and family to stay during July and August, you are penalised for doing so. It's one more example of France being dictatorial. They don't try and get everyone to register, far too difficult. Plays into France's everyone cheats mentality too. Must be full if its july and August :evil: easier to tax those properties already registered and doing the right thing. Can you fight this and pay on actual bookings? Maybe join up with other b & b owners in the area? One voice carries no weight but more do. Is this an occasion when a facebook campaign might work?

Good luck with this. I'd be very cross.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Don't intend paying them what they are asking. Why should I give them money from my account that has not been taken from the guests. Pay enough on property tax CSG on B&B earnings, food for guests, electric and water etc. Will pay them what we have taken from the guests. Not paying to cover other people who are not playing the game. I am sure there will be plenty of French saying the same. Role on retirement.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Pirou wrote:That means that if someone has friends and family to stay during July and August, you are penalised for doing so. It's one more example of France being dictatorial.
Just a wee word of caution: this isn't 'France', it's your commune dictating this. We don't have anything like this in our commune - I pay what I take from my guests... and it's done on an honesty system. However, your commune is, in my opinion, being dicatorial... perhaps you could, as already suggested, gang up with other holiday let owners and point out that if this is enforced, you'll have to close (okay, maybe not... but not bad to add embelish the issue a bit) and that will result in far less TdS going into their coffers?