Market Research Email from Homeaway

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
SPJ

Market Research Email from Homeaway

Post by SPJ »

If any of you are getting an email request from Hanover Research in the US to participate in "insurance" research and if you strongly dislike the "book now/book online" service charging of guests on OD, can I suggest you take part in the survey.

It's tedious, repetitive and takes about 20 mins, BUT there is an option to keep choosing annual subscription of £200+ (I think it was £239) AND NO "book now" button or booking fee. If this research is serious and that REALLY is an option they are considering this represents a massive U-turn by Homeaway and I personally would have no need to cancel my subscription next year with OD. At that price / with that option I would VERY happily stay with them.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I'll do that if Hanover Research get in touch.
jafa

Re: Market Research Email from Homeaway

Post by jafa »

SPJ wrote:If any of you are getting an email request from Hanover Research in the US to participate in "insurance" research and if you strongly dislike the "book now/book online" service charging of guests on OD, can I suggest you take part in the survey.

It's tedious, repetitive and takes about 20 mins, BUT there is an option to keep choosing annual subscription of £200+ (I think it was £239) AND NO "book now" button or booking fee. If this research is serious and that REALLY is an option they are considering this represents a massive U-turn by Homeaway and I personally would have no need to cancel my subscription next year with OD. At that price / with that option I would VERY happily stay with them.
But the option also included other add ons making it impossible to chose any of them
Jafa
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hi Jafa, the way to do it is to single-mindedly go through it always choosing the subscription / no book now button and not worry about the add-ons. If they want to offer me additional insurance add-ons for the same price, I'm not going to refuse them. The computer analysis will be looking for patterns in our responses - who is always choosing to have booking on-line, who doesn't want it etc. It looks complicated but it's actually fairly straightforward for a computer. :D
Ele

Post by Ele »

Received & completed it - and agreeing with you SPJ, have only selected subs and no book now. If it makes any difference - eureka!
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Ele wrote:Received & completed it - and agreeing with you SPJ, have only selected subs and no book now. If it makes any difference - eureka!
Great! Let's hope there are lots more like us. :D
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Sorry but this is a standard tactic. They will simply implement whatever it is they have already decided, but prefix it with: “Following extensive research and surveys we are introducing...”
Absolutely true of course.
1) They’ll have done the research and surveys.
2) They’ll introduce their next scheme in an attempt to prevent their investors pulling the plug on them.

2) follows 1) on the timeline.
1) has no influence on 2).
:evil: :evil: :evil:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

GB - some would call you a cynic, and some would call you a realist. Different names, same end result, much like HA/OD research.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Sadly, that's the way to ensure that there is no change. Shrug and say it will not happen is of course the way to make sure it won't happen. I prefer to believe I can make a difference in this life.

I prefer to believe that if enough people continue to ask HA/OD to change their policy then they just might.
jafa

Post by jafa »

asking them to change their policy is one thing. The only way they WILL change is if enough people walk away from their current model, and don't renew. That's the hard part with very little alternatives out there at the moment.
Jafa
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

SPJ wrote:
I prefer to believe that if enough people continue to ask HA/OD to change their policy then they just might.
They will if their investors tell them to.
The question is, who do the investors listen to who tells them anything other than good news stories and tales of financial growth?
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

To combine the last two posts, they will listen to their shareholders upon tales of financial decline brought on by lots of clients abandoning them.

That's about it I think. Unless enough people ditch them to the point where it offsets the gains they'll make in creaming Traveller Service Fees from guests then nothing will change.
COYS

Post by COYS »

ManxRed1 wrote:To combine the last two posts, they will listen to their shareholders upon tales of financial decline brought on by lots of clients abandoning them.

That's about it I think. Unless enough people ditch them to the point where it offsets the gains they'll make in creaming Traveller Service Fees from guests then nothing will change.
Can't argue with that Manxred1 although I admire & fully support the stance taken by SPJ. Nothing wrong with having a voice or using it & long may it continue.
In OTA world though, even if dissenters scream, shout & jump ship, they will just carry on milking whoever stays on board for as much as they can & that would worry me a great deal were I to be reliant upon them.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

I too fill out the surveys. I haven't seen this one yet, but I do the ones Owners Direct send me, even though I know its just for cathartic purposes only.

Remember they have lots and lots and lots of survey data to back up their operating model and philosophy. They go on about it ALL the time. They just won't share it with anyone.

I wonder why?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

ManxRed1 wrote: Remember they have lots and lots and lots of survey data to back up their operating model and philosophy. They go on about it ALL the time. They just won't share it with anyone.

I wonder why?
I rest my case... :wink: