Swimming Pool or Not

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
shaz

Swimming Pool or Not

Post by shaz »

We have a property it is close to bars, bus stop etc. less than five minutes drive to beach. It currently does not have a pool. As we need to spend a lot on it to get it ready for rental we were wondering if it essential to have a swimming pool installed. Does anyone have a property that they rent out successfuly without a pool. It is close to beautiful beaches. Any advice would be welcome. Many thanks.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

In my opinion its only essential if you want people to rent it.

By the way, how many persons does your property hold?
if 2 or less, then maybe is not so necessary.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I think in Spain a pool is essential unless it it right on the beach...however, even then I would say a private pool is a must.

Mouse
x
shaz

Post by shaz »

Hi thanks guys yes that is what I was thinking too. Thank you.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Hopefully you will be fully up to date with any laws/permissions you have to abide to before you start work.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Marks

Post by Marks »

casasantoestevo wrote:Hopefully you will be fully up to date with any laws/permissions you have to abide to before you start work.
I'm sure shaz will do everything 'by the book' why suggest otherwise?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
shaz

Post by shaz »

casasantoestevo wrote:Hopefully you will be fully up to date with any laws/permissions you have to abide to before you start work.
Yes we will be seeking planning permission before we do anything would be stupid not too. We will also be registering for a rental licence :D
CSE

Post by CSE »

Yer, saw your recent question about rental licences and thought maybe in the excitement this licence may be forgotten about on the the to do list (the famous Spanish paperwork chase). :(

Good luck, hope you get all the permissions you need.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
lorca

Post by lorca »

No a pool is NOT essential in Spain, but it depends.... We have earned a decent living for years letting out 3 traditional properties in a beautiful White Village. There is more to Spain than Mojitos by the pool ...just sayin'..... ;)

However, of course ours is a niche market and on the whole the others are right - you will definitely get more bookings (and more money) with a pool. Go for it (and I've no doubt you've thought about planning permissions etc), you will recoup the outlay pretty quickly.
If not now, when?
flamingo

Post by flamingo »

Hi Shaz

We are in the Chiclana area and bought our house way back in 2004, we purposely installed a 9x5 pool as we are very rural and about 15 minutes from the beach. Whilst we rented, the pool was a very big attraction and created some very impressive pictures. We quite easily filled July and August and September.
In our experience the running costs are around 1,400-1,500 euros a year including things such as chlorine, flocculant etc plus any breakages for example a new pump.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Remember the longer term costs running a pool in addition to routine things. - we have been renting now for almost 20 years and in that time have had the following major additional expences

Pump repair
New pump
New sand filter
New valves
Drain and Re-grouting

These things will come up and are not cheap
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Have a look at the thread ADVICE PLEASE in the Spain section. It is about 7 or 8 below yours.
teapot

Post by teapot »

costa-brava wrote:Have a look at the thread ADVICE PLEASE in the Spain section. It is about 7 or 8 below yours.
Seems rather weird to drain a pool because beer was thrown in it? Must have been one heck of a lot of it.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
teapot

Post by teapot »

joddle wrote:Remember the longer term costs running a pool in addition to routine things. - we have been renting now for almost 20 years and in that time have had the following major additional expences

Pump repair
New pump
New sand filter
New valves
Drain and Re-grouting

These things will come up and are not cheap
What went wrong with the sand filter?
Valves are not that expensive (depending on size of course)
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
joddle

Post by joddle »

teapot wrote: What went wrong with the sand filter?
Valves are not that expensive (depending on size of course)
Ah yes the sand filter - if got damaged after the sand got contaminated by debris let over from the re-grouting and tile repairs by the contractor - should not have happened of course but we could not prove anything so could not claim from them. Fragments of tile also ruined the pump!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.