Which thumbnail is best?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
gh

Which thumbnail is best?

Post by gh »

Aware that the quality of pictures sell your home. Trying to decide which one will interest browsers to look further than the thumbnail.

Do you have the house, a garden view with house in background or if you have one; a pool view.

Appreciate ski and winter homes will have 'effect' pictures which I feel are wow I want to the first snow angel as for now I have changed a couple of our listings to pool views at night with the pool lights showing the clear water, hoping that wow... I want to jump in there.

What do you all think?
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I love the "pool at night", I've always thought this is one of the most inviting times, but never thought to take a picture of it!
Thanks, for the idea.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

On our website we have a picture of the villa/pool at night (not a very good one I must admit) but many guests have commented that the pool at night pic 'sold' the villa for them!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

For more views, here's one I made earlier!

viewtopic.php?t=1294
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I love the "pool at night", I've always thought this is one of the most inviting times, but never thought to take a picture of it!
It's a common misconception that anybody can take good photographs just because using a digital camera is so easy. However, pressing the button is the easy bit - the hard part is all the thought processes prior to tripping the shutter about what makes an compelling picture which will do justice to your terrific location (and even more important if your location is not so stunning).

Hiring a experienced professional photographer to do a sympathetic shoot at your property is not a cheap option but it is one that can pay rich dividends in increased bookings. In addition, I think that putting people enjoying themselves in your surroundings into shots is vital - I really don't feel that the 'empty shots' seen so often on websites do any favours to rental properties. You don't have pictures of the empty church in your wedding album, so why have empty shots on your rental website? We always ask attractive families if they mind us photographing them for possible publicity use - not had any refusals yet.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jimbo wrote:We always ask attractive families if they mind us photographing them for possible publicity use - not had any refusals yet.Jim
:D - it's the word 'attractive' that makes me smile!

We don't live on site, so doing a David Bailey is not an option for us - however if visitors to the listing sites click through to our website, they will see pictures of real guests on our guestbook page, as I was able to ask some enthusiastic returners with whom I'd had quite a lot of contact by phone if they'd mind sending me some of their photos, and there were some good photographers among them.

I think that interior shots must be people-less, personally. And if you have a good quality digital camera, you don't need a pro to take your photos for you. Those who need it can find plenty of tips to ensure they get the most from their camera on LMH.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

it's the word 'attractive' that makes me smile!
Hi GG, not sure why? When I photograph our gites, I choose the most attractive buildings and photograph them in an attractive way. Just the same with photographing guests, I choose photogenic and outgoing sorts (young and old) who I feel won't freeze or worry about their cellulite. Doesn't mean I don't equally value our fat, short and spotty guests (I'm no oil painting myself!) - just that publicity photography is horses for courses.
And if you have a good quality digital camera, you don't need a pro to take your photos for you.
I wouldn't discount so easily the possibility of what an experienced photographer could achieve for you. You might be astonished at how differently s/he might portray your property. Just because I can drive a car doesn't make me Michael Schumacher (although being fined for speeding last week might make the gendarmes a bit suspicious!).

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jimbo, it's just my sense of humour.

As for the employment of a professional photographer, I don't disagree - for those who have the budget, it's an excellent idea - but I'm saying it's not impossible for an amateur to take photos which will help sell their property if they apply themselves and read all the tips on the subject. I took most of the photographs on our site, and have had great feedback, so if GG can do it, why not someone else?

And it was fun!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yes, I think the same- with digi cams you can take loads of piccies and just choose the one that does it for you! I actually think the art is not in the shooting so much as the artistic director bit- knowing how it will look,knowing what else will be in the frame,staging in an unstagey way- doh !! You know what I mean !!!
ps- we don't actually "know ", more have a "feel " for !! :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Fraise wrote: ps- we don't actually "know ", more have a "feel " for !! :wink:
Couldn't agree more Fraise. The lovely G Goat graciously had a look at our photos for me and most of her feedback was like 'yes, I knew that but couldn't quite put my finger on it' if you know what I mean. Now, the question remains can we borrow another wide angle lens camera and re do some of them when we are next out, hey ho. As for using people in the shots, I think half of people will like it and half won't. It's a bit like the estate agencies advise for selling your home, remove personal stuff so they can imagine themselves there.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I tend to use the exterior shot of the chalet (Also first photo on the website) but my favourite pic is the one on the Special offers page ,should I use that instead?
[/url]
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

HelenB wrote:I tend to use the exterior shot of the chalet (Also first photo on the website) but my favourite pic is the one on the Special offers page ,should I use that instead?
[/url]
Hi Helen

For what it's worth, I think the main one is probably what I would choose, showing the chalet itself. The other one is lovely though, makes me think of Christmas. My second favorite is the skiers on the slope. Going back to 'I know it's right but not sure why', I can answer that in this case, it is because those two shots have lovely blue skies too, yummy 8)
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Exactly right I think, the blue sky. Non-skiers don't appreciate that you can have sun and snow at the same time. They think it's cold and miserable all the time.
I'm thinking about getting the other one put onto a canvas. Apparently Next do them online.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

The special offer one is not of the apartments is it Helen? It's a super shot, but agree with Partridge, I'd stay with your home page one, or crop it if it's for the thumbnail, so that it's more of a close-up - as long as you can retain the definition. Only a thought. Thumbnails can be quite unforgiving, and since the next click depends on it, it needs to be the best you can get.

Partridge, I wasn't lovely last time I checked in the mirror.

Nor the time before..

I wonder whether it would be a 50:50 split when it comes to the people thing. I think it's fine for a distance shot - eg we have a lovely one a guest took of a couple of teenagers playing badminton as the sun was setting, and that's great for showing prospective punters people enjoying themselves in the context of our property, but still allows viewers to see the surroundings as well; the kids are so far away they remain anonymous really. Close-ups up people at the kitchen table or whatever are something else; when the number of photos allowed on a listing site are limited, a waste of a frame. Galleries on ones website are another matter - although I'd still hesitate about including people in anything other than a distance photo - going down a slide in your garden, picnicking under one of your trees - but in the distance.

I don't mean to seem as if I know it all, but just that it's a subject I feel passionate about.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No GG it's not, it's the view from the front door.