Website review for a technophobe newbie

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Littlegem

Website review for a technophobe newbie

Post by Littlegem »

Hi Everyone,

After reading a ton of online resources I decided to have a go at doing my own basic free website, mainly because its my first year trading and I didn't have anything left in the kitty to pay for some tech genius to build a site for me (same goes for a professional photographer) I tried to use Paolos suggestions and links etc but all the links now just go to error pages or domain registration sites?
The web address is www.georgesholidayhome.jimdo.com please can you have a look and give some honest feedback (please don't be too harsh) Just want to make sure I have included everything necessary. I know my pics are dark etc etc etc.
Also I have just set up a facebook page for the house @georgesholidayhome can someone tell me how I go about sharing local events etc as my business page. What does everyone do with their page once set up as its just sitting here blankly staring back at me. I am a member of the direct owners group and a dog friendly one on there as my personal self, how do I get any of my business info on to those groups.
many thanks in advance and I look forward to conversing with you all now ive finally plucked up the courage to post.
Gem
:lol:
I used to be decisive but now I'm not so sure.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I like it! obviously you know that you will have to get your own domain name eventually, but as a link it's fine. The pictures are a tiny bit dark, but I've seen much worse. Although I do think there are too many pics of the dining table! It seemds to have all the info you would need, so good luck with it.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I would agree.
It's very nice site. Nothing jumps out as needing a tweek.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Nice simple site & the photos are fine on my iPad (not too dark).
I suggest breaking up the longer text-heavy pages with a photo in each section. The gallery took a while to load and if I'd been out and about on a smart phone I might not have waited for it, so good to have a few interior shots elsewhere.

Definitely get your own domain name and use it for your email too.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Well done. You've proved that you do not need technical skills to create a website, but just some simple design and good prose.

Some comments on the design. None are fatal:

1. Your home page has 5 different fonts within one page. 3 is an absolute max.

2. It took me a while to work out in which country your large villa was..... So why is Eastbourne mentioned so low down, in a faint grey different font? It does not stand out.

3. As mentioned above, break up long text. You could use simple bolded sub headings if you want to maintain the simplicity of the site.

4. Photographs. Your photos are all well dressed and pretty good quality, but I would suggest that take all the money you've saved on website design and spend it on a professional photographer. Its amazing what a difference that will make, and I'd guarantee you get 2 extra bookings to pay for it :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Littlegem

Thank you

Post by Littlegem »

Thank you for all the responses, you have all been very kind. I will certainly be taking all the comments on board and tweak what I can over the next few days, then invest in a professional photographer as soon as I can and upgrade the website subscription so I have a proper domain name.
Hope everyone has had a nice weekend.
Kind regards
Gem
I used to be decisive but now I'm not so sure.