Property owner - angry email response to broken dishwasher

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
AlpsApartments

Property owner - angry email response to broken dishwasher

Post by AlpsApartments »

Just wanted to find out how to go about responding to our British property owner, with regard to finding out that the 14 yr old dishwasher is now broken, as no part is available for the awkwardly designed 'tiny' plastic catch handle release... whom since notifying him with this news has responded angrily!
Even though we have replaced other appliances like the fridge and washing machine - all of which are a good 15 years old, including some dodgy plumbing which we've paid for ourselves. Which really we should of told him to pay for, being the property owner
However, the location of his large property (sleeps 21) is in an isolated location in the Rhone Alps and we get a reduction in rent during interseason, as it would be unsustainable otherwise to operate as we have a non-negotiable rolling all year contract.

After 4 years renting his property, both commercially and for family we have been quite lucky with nothing too major falling into disrepair.

We have improved the property adding value, especially the garden area which has already improved his sale price as it was a mass overgrown jungle. Also he did try it on a few years back and charge us for Fonciere tax when that is the owner's responsibility in France, so maybe he's had a few more things to pay out on his other 8 properties across the globe and is feeling the pinch.
The property originally was his family holiday home. He has apparently, in the same email, just mentioned that he has other people interested in renting the property all year round, at full price, but think he's just calling our bluff.

If anyone has any similar situations or experiences, or suggestions, they will be MUCH appreciated.
Respect the Mountain
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

We have some quite old appliances in our beach appartment which we purchased furnished 9 years ago and rent out to help finances.

Two appliances had problems during lettings and I was able to find the spare parts, and instructions how to fit them, on the site www.spareka.fr. After ordering on line, the parts arrived within 4 days.

Might be useful to know for anyone in France needing spare parts for old appliances.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Forgot to say that one was the door catch of an old tumble dryer, which now, thanks to spareka works perfectly and the door stays closed. Of course, to order spare parts you need to give full détails and reference numbers.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

You sound awfully nice!
And your owner sounds awful.

Is it part of his strategy to be so unapproachable that he knows you will have to sort out the problem? I say this, but I don’t know the details of the contract you have with him. The contract is key. The devil is always in the detail and that is what you need to refer to in any communication.

Sadly some people do take advantage or expect property to bring in loads of money for no outlay. You see it often in the lettings industry (rental lettings). That doesn’t help you, other than you need to decide if you are going to continue throwing your money at his property and whether or not you will benefit from this. If he is threatening to replace you and the contract would allow this, I would be loathe to pay out for him. I think the technical term is blackmail.
Can you not look for somewhere else with a more pleasant owner?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

zebedee wrote:You sound awfully nice!
And your owner sounds awful.
If he is threatening to replace you and the contract would allow this, I would be loathe to pay out for him. I think the technical term is blackmail.
If you have a proper French lease, he can't get rid of you that easily. If you don't have a proper French lease, then you don't actually have a lease... nothing other than a 100% proper (i.e legal) French lease will hold up in court.

However, I am afraid I have no idea whether this helps you in your situation or not. All I can suggest is that you go and get advice (you could try a maison de justice et du droit if you have one locally) to see where you stand.

Good luck - as Zebedee says, they sound awful and if they had any sense, they should be doing everything possible to keep such good tenants as you!

Oh, and I VERY much doubt he has people queueing up to take your place!!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'd stick to your guns and call his bluff if the contract allows.
Who is really ready to rent a 21 bed place? And if there is someone then he might just find them less pliable than yourselves.

He sounds like a bully. Appliances fail with age and as an owner it is something that is planned for. If someone new took over from you he would still have the same issues.

Good luck. ...it must be so stressful for you to deal with him, but I suspect that's what he's looking to achieve.

Mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Obviously, we cannot know your circumstances and why you've put up with this situation but it doesn't sound to me to be very fair.

The owner is being unreasonable and taking advantage of you. He either believes you have no choice but to put up with his behaviour, doesn't care or thinks he is entirely reasonable.

In any case, I think you should look to find alternative work/accommodation and prepare to move on to a happier situation. I don't think your current situation will change for the better.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I know nothing about French property law, but it sounds like you have a commercial lease rather than a residential one as you are using the property commercially?
I would expect therefore for you to have a longer renewable lease term, but on the other hand be responsible for repairing and replacing the contents.