Copyright

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
apexblue

Copyright

Post by apexblue »

A message from our internet provider to say current guests downloaded a film illegally due to copyright.

What can be done and who is responsible if taken further?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

You are (The account holder) of the contract you have with your ISP.

Doesn't matter who connects to the internet via the account holders service, the account holder is firstly responsible.

Saying "It wasn't me" won't be enough if taken to court, you'll have to prove it wasn't you and provide evidence to prove who it was. Saying it was Mr & Mrs Smith between the dates Blah and Blah won't be enough either unless you can prove that the wireless password is religiously changed every changeover perhaps.

Purchase a decent router and block P2P applications and illegal streaming sites etc etc to prevent it from happening in the first place.

It might be tempted to send the guests a copy of your letter!

Wouldn't worry though I've seen several of these letters over the years showed to me by customers. They'll only prosecute you if the problem continues. "If you continue to download illegal stuff"

If you buy a decent router and ditch the freebee you were given from your ISP you can configure it to block allsorts of things that could come back and bite you.

Others may disagree but I'd send the guests a letter and a copy of the letter you received from your ISP and tell them that you have passed on there names and address to your ISP and also say that you'll help the police as far as possible blah blah. A pointless exercise passing there name and address onto your ISP and it won't help you either but it may very well deter them from ding it again next time, perhaps.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Very helpful. Thanks.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

As a deterrent , I have this in my T+Cs:

"If illegal downloads are tracked to the studio ip address, we will be obliged to supply the contact details of the relevant occupant to the relevant authorities"
whirlybird

Post by whirlybird »

Hi

Same as zingara here, we have it in our terms of using the Internet which they have to agree to before being allowed onto our wifi server.
We let them know their IP address is logged, each cottage has their own router.
https://www.moorparks.co.uk/farm-stay-self-catering/
https://www.facebook.com/moorparks/
Moorparks Holiday Cottages Moorparks, EX19 8NA 07850 356627

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order as they should be!