Legal implications of HA/OD preventing pre-booking vetting

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
jafa

Post by jafa »

Had an enquiry 2013. My son was working at the time in the village where we have the house and could help us with this last minute booking.

Late enquiry 24 hours notice.

"Adam,

I got your text earlier.

I cannot let anyone stay without the info first.

This is also a double security issue for myself not knowing who Im letting stay in the house in the event of an emergency or god forbid, someone doing a runner with things like tv etc.

Can you also at the same time send me something with your address on it "

Needless to say, even with all the checks, ie names, addresses etc, they were a nightmare. Smashed a window, left the place in an absolute mess. The one and only time in 9 years.

Just googled him.

Shock, horror, hes part of a gang that's just been sentenced to 6 years for cocaine smuggling. Sometimes your first instincts are correct. I didn't want to accept the booking, and wished we hadn't. Caused problems with our neighbours etc. But as the time was tight, you tend to be too hasty

But the message is clear. If we as owners are not allowed to vet who we let our houses to then Homeaway etc, are they going to take responsibility. A big fat NO. So unless they refrain from interfering, there business model will fail.
Jafa