How to stop people smoking

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
joddle

How to stop people smoking

Post by joddle »

Although we have a no smoking policy for our villa as we think its unfair to people following smokers to have to put up with the lingering smells, we do find at times evidence, mainly smell, that people have smoked. So what can we do about it?

Our T&Cs state no smoking inside the villa itself - but people are free to smoke outside. To date that is really all we do.

Over the summer we had one set of visitors who must have smoked all the time as the smell in the villa after they left was unbearable. It took days of washing curtains and bedding to clear the smell and its something we don't want to have to do again - and something which is impossible on a fast changeover.

The main issue is proof - you can't take a photo of a smell and its hard to take money from the deposit is you don't have some form of proof! They could easily say it was the people before them! And who am I to prove otherwise?

So far we have resisted having no smoking signs in the villa but think maybe we should put up something saying no smoking and add that's its for the sake of those following who could be affected by smoke.

We also though installing sensitive smoke detectors in each room which then might act as a deterrent - but before we do anything would welcome any views and suggestions and ideas which others may have.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

It is a really difficult one.

It's not just the smell, but the litter of butts that bothers us, not to mention burnt duvet covers, stubbing-out marks on exterior walls etc!

What we do is on the T&Cs (and repeated in the emails prior to booking) we say "[propertyname] is for non-smokers. If you have any smokers in your group, it's OK but you must let us know so that we can speak to them individually to ensure that they understand the rules".

Even that, rarely gets obeyed. In a house that takes 10, we have group after group that apparently have no smokers! But what else can you do. We would be interested too if anyone has any better solution.

In western Scotland, the weather isn't often suitable for smoking outside. Smokers then tend to think that smoking near an open door will be just as good as being outside. When we do get the chance to speak to them individually, we explain that they need to get into their car or go for a walk with an umbrella. Standing near an open door or open window is a no-no.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Our Ts & Cs say no smoking in the property and they forfeit their entire damages deposit if they do so. We have a small 'no smoking' sign in one property but not in another - it's never been an issue in either. We've never found evidence of butts etc. in the garden or outside either - must be lucky.

We've just got back from a week away and stayed in two different self-catering apartments and a chain hotel. All three stated very clearly the property/rooms were non smoking and threatened retention of money, charges to credit card etc. for non-compliance.
joddle

Post by joddle »

I like the idea of smokers forfeiting the whole deposit but could we do that legally without actual proof? I will in future say any additional cleaning due to smoking will be taken from the deposit.

I am going to reiterate on the booking emails the no smoking policy so there is no excuse for them no knowing and if we lose the odd booking doing so then so be it.

Any more ideas welcomed.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We've only had one guest who caused problems, and we were following them. Although the place didn't stink, there was a faint smell of tobacco smoke in all the rooms. The guy was apparently a very heavy smoker, and although he had kept his habit outside on our terrace, he was wearing our bathrobe, and sitting by the doorway with smoke drifting inside. Bathrobe went off to the laundry, I burnt some scented tealights for a couple of days, and washed the soft furnishings. Would have been more difficult if we weren't the next occupnts though.
COYS

Post by COYS »

It's a tough one for sure. We have always had a non smoking policy, T&C's with chargeable intensive clean clauses, interlinked smoke detectors, signage etc. Makes no frickin' difference. We always turn up to flower beds/pots full of butts, smoke detectors bleeping where they've been tampered with, the occasional burn mark etc.
I'm a fanatical anti smoker (personal reasons) and consciously promote a low allergen environment. We always make clear as such on all communication. It goes in one ear & straight out the other - until we deduct the sanitation charge from the security deposit on the rare occasion that the housekeeping team let us know. Other than that, you are relying on that old fashioned thing - respect.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I have to say that we don't operate a smoking ban; it wouldn't work in Greece. In fact we provide decent looking ashtrays. Some, but not many, of our guests are smokers. So far, in 10 years, we haven't had a stale smoke problem that I can remember. I think all our smoking guests do us the courtesy of smoking only outdoors.

Putting up "No Smoking" notices or installing 'big brother' smoking detectors would not create the kind of happy ambiance, which I think our guests expect.
joddle

Post by joddle »

AndrewH wrote:Putting up "No Smoking" notices or installing 'big brother' smoking detectors would not create the kind of happy ambiance, which I think our guests expect.
That I have to agree with but for the sake of those following I think we have an obligation to try and ensure that smoking does not occur in the property - but how is the real issue - from past experience we cannot simply rely on the good nature of some of our guests!
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Rightly or wrongly and I'm sure someone will disagree with what I'm doing but it works for me and nobody has complained, commented or left a negative review or such like so far....

I have "No Smoking and Vaping" signs and I have "No smoking and vaping in open doorway" dry transfers / signs on the glass in the front and back doors along with smoke alarm's in several locations. The ceiling are low too!!!!

Initially I had nothing other than the smoke alarms and it was very evident that people were smoking often.

Nobody, as far as I can tell has smoked in the place or doorways this year so far since I added signage and nobody has complained, commented or left a bad review about what I'm doing.
Ele

Post by Ele »

We've been fortunate to have not had an issue, a couple of guests (in 12 years) have clearly smoked outside on the terrace, but it has not 'drifted' into the villa and caused a problem at a changeover.

We make the no-smoking policy clear in the T's&C's on our booking form, and also in our guest information folder, saying this:
Smoking – For the comfort of all our guests, current and future, this villa has been rented to your party on a strictly non-smoking basis. Any guests who do not respect this will automatically receive a deduction of £150 from the security deposit to cover additional cleansing of the villa.
The main issue is proof - you can't take a photo of a smell and its hard to take money from the deposit is you don't have some form of proof! They could easily say it was the people before them! And who am I to prove otherwise?
I wouldn't hesitate to make the deduction if guests didn't respect the policy. As a non-smoker with a sensitive sense of smell there is nothing worse than stale tobacco - for work I stay in hotels a lot, and arriving into a 'no smoking' room in which someone has clearly been smoking (even though housekeeping have done their best to cover it up!) is just unacceptable. Guests sign our T's&C's so they can't claim ignorance. They also can't blame prior guests as the villa is prepared for each new guest, so it would be their word vs ours - and we'd simply stand firm.

We don't use signage - agree that it would detract from the relaxing/luxury holiday 'home from home' atmosphere.

Really all you can do is ensure good clear communication, so your 'house rules' can't be missed or mis-interpreted. It's no different to if you have a 'no pets' policy and the guests bring a dog, or you sleep maximum 6 and find 8 guests have turned up.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Ele wrote: We make the no-smoking policy clear in the T's&C's on our booking form, and also in our guest information folder, saying this:
Smoking – For the comfort of all our guests, current and future, this villa has been rented to your party on a strictly non-smoking basis. Any guests who do not respect this will automatically receive a deduction of £150 from the security deposit to cover additional cleansing of the villa.
The only issues I see with that statement it seems to offer guests a way out - i.e. They can smoke if they are willing to risk the deduction to their deposit - and I think some may then try and hide the effects of their activities and take the risk of being found out.
Ele

Post by Ele »

The only issues I see with that statement it seems to offer guests a way out - i.e. They can smoke if they are willing to risk the deduction to their deposit - and I think some may then try and hide the effects of their activities and take the risk of being found out.
Possibly so, it's never been an issue for us - perhaps the £150 is enough of a deterrent, or we've just been lucky with respectful guests. Either way though, if you plan to either make a deduction as we would, or retain the entire security deposit as others have mentioned, you really must inform the guest that's your policy - otherwise they're certainly more likely to argue if you try to charge.
I will in future say any additional cleaning due to smoking will be taken from the deposit.
That's what works for us, the only difference being we're telling them how much.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

i am addressing this problem at the moment

I have 4 studio apartments all listed as non smoking with all the OTA's , our personal website and all marketing sites we also have details in each guest information book located in each apartment along with a small sign on the back of the apartment doors
And each apartment is fitted with a standard smoke alarm on the ceiling for part of the fire procedure.
However this season i have caught 4 groups of guests smoking in the apartments and had to pull them up on this with the last guests who apparently are stating that they did not know it was no smoking ( the accommodation was booked as a gift by their son who did not inform them ) when i pointed to the door sign and notice in the book look at me with some embarrassment however they were checking out the next morning and the son was supposed to be collecting them so i composed myself to explain the situation to him with the aim of some understanding and to be as tactful as i could so not to have a full blown heated discussion on the door step only for them to leave while i was in the garden and of me to see a car disappear up the road as a missed opportunity , thankfully the house is still standing and as i do not take a damage deposit i had nothing i could have charged to them for any extra cleaning ,only thankfully i had 2 days free to open windows etc . before next guests were due so i will wait for the review On BC which is well overdue !!!

so i have been looking around for a solution i have found these Standalone cigarette smoke alarms from discountfiresupplies.co.uk basically they look the same as the standard smoke fire alarms ( that you fit to the ceilings ) & they are sensitive to cigarette smoke “ ok they do not come cheap especially when you have 4 apartments you can also get them linked & a Cigarette detection component that indicates where the smoke has been detected & silent so you can catch the culprit “ this of course is only good if you are on site “
the question is seeing them in action do they fix the problem ? i am waiting on recommendations before the financial outlay
so the jury is still out

As my building is historic over 500 year old I do feel I have a duty to protect it … but it is catching the buggers !!!
or finding ones that respect your property
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
COYS

Post by COYS »

AndrewH wrote:I have to say that we don't operate a smoking ban; it wouldn't work in Greece.
Ah yes. The mainstay in the triumvirate of Greek hobbies - chain smoking, coffee drinking & tailgating!
More often than not all at the same time. :shock:
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

COYS wrote:
AndrewH wrote:I have to say that we don't operate a smoking ban; it wouldn't work in Greece.
Ah yes. The mainstay in the triumvirate of Greek hobbies - chain smoking, coffee drinking & tailgating!
More often than not all at the same time. :shock:
+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

And one more: Non-stop use of a mobile phone coupled with arm gesturing, particularly when driving!