Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Booking.com scams

Rental listing sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydroland2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Booking.com scams Reply with quote

(Not sure if this is the right section, but it's not actually about scam emails)

Is anyone else getting a lot of scam bookings from African countries through booking.com? Just got the third one in a row. Always for 1 person, 9 days, 1 room. Not sure exactly what to do with these as there's no easy way to refuse the booking and booking.com take ages to reply. I don't want to send a payment request in response as booking.com suggest as I don't want these scammers to have any of my details.
I've tried immediately marking the latest one as a non-payment as I know there will never be any payment, but does anyone have any other ideas?
petitbois

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visa scam - they need an address to get Visa, no intention of staying - only way out is for bdotcom to take payment for you or demand full address, mobile & credit card details to confirm all bookings. Since started taking CC payments 3 yrs ago we no longer receive these bookings, but many of my colleagues receive several a day......
hydroland2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh Sad
Maybe it's time to ditch the booking.com listing then? At least when I get an obvious scam booking request through OD they reply very quickly to my ticket and delete the request. B.com just tell me I should send the scammers my bank details for payment!
Cymraes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any. I require BdotC to take a credit card, address and telephone number before they can book.

Stops the scammers.
hydroland2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymraes wrote:
I haven't had any. I require BdotC to take a credit card, address and telephone number before they can book.

Stops the scammers.

I can only take credit cards through PayPal and B.com won't accept that. It's a pity because I've had some great guests through them, but I'm already sick of the scammers and the unbelievable amount of time it takes B.com to reply to a message is not acceptable. Gah.
casasantoestevo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can only communicate with the potential guests via Booking's own system then surely you just report theses scams to the customer services?
How many have you had?

PS: Booking will take the cc details and payment for you if you wish.

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
hydroland2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casasantoestevo wrote:
As you can only communicate with the potential guests via Booking's own system then surely you just report theses scams to the customer services?
How many have you had?

PS: Booking will take the cc details and payment for you if you wish.

This is the third in the last few weeks. I had a reply from customer services. They say I should send the guest my bank details and see if they pay me! Obviously because that is the correct way to respond to a scammer!
Unsurprisingly I have had a request from the guest to cancel without payment - exactly the same as the last times. Rolling Eyes
casasantoestevo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have found that one should never write, always phone.
Now tell them that 3 is more than enough and that they should be stopping this. You are their customer not the fake guests!
Hope you get to resolve the issue with Booking.

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Rental listing sites