6 week booking as main residence??

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
rosebud

6 week booking as main residence??

Post by rosebud »

Would you take a 6 week booking from people who need accommodation as their main residence?

When I responded to their enquiry (about a discount for 6 weeks) asking if they were taking a holiday they replied to say they worked locally & had just moved out of their house but had booked a place until 3rd Nov.. They were asking about my place from this date ..

If you would consider this enquiry what further questions would you ask?

Normally I have at least a couple of bookings for Nov / early Dec but none this year.
Fleur

6week booking

Post by Fleur »

They'll probably create more wear and tear unlike holiday makers who would normally go out and about sightseeing etc. These people will be living in it full time.
Fleur
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Now that you know their circumstances, you may be more vulnerable if they decide not to vacate at the end of the six weeks. They could say to a court that they would be homeless. It may not be a high risk, but it does exist.
Why don’t they go for a furnished let? Is there an issue with their credit history which would deter a landlord or letting agent?

They could be sincere if no one locally provides lets shorter than 6 months, but I would be a bit concerned.

I agree that they will use more electricity and other fuel as they won’t be eating out as much as a holiday maker, and will use the washing machine etc much more, so be careful about any discount.

You would need a good damage deposit as well, as you have no forwarding address if you needed to chase them for any damages
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

If they do not have a permanent home, nor the prospect of a permanent home, be very careful to ensure that they will leave at the end of 6 weeks. What plans do they have for moving on then? They will have moved 3 times in 9 weeks at that time. Why?

Personally, I would not rent my holiday let to anyone without a permanent residence.
The best things in life are free
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We have taken bookings like this in the winter a few times and never had any real problems, do you have any planning that states holiday use only?

We tend to charge a little less but ask them to pay energy costs for exactly what is used.

I think it can mean more wear and tear, we ask them to use their own bed linen. We had one for 4 months last winter I am not sure I would do so again as there was damage and small items missing at the end of that stay. We made it very clear in the contract the date that they had to vacate and made it clear that the contract did non provide any assured tenancy agreement.

Don't forget that any stay more than 31 days will not count to your FHL nights sold for HMRC.
Mel House

Post by Mel House »

I'm working away from home at the moment and my employer pays for hotels. But the project also has a number of self-employed contractors who band together and rent homes / cottages on relatively short-term basis as they are on rolling 1 month and 2 month contracts.

In fact, 4 of them are on the market at the moment because the last place they rented had a long standing half-term booking that they vacated for. Given they are working professionals, only there for 3 or 4 nights a week, but happy to rent for a full week as it is cheaper than them booking hotels individually, that might be lower wear and tear for you. It might be worth asking your enquirers what there situation is.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Mel House wrote;
I'm working away from home at the moment and my employer pays for hotels. But the project also has a number of self-employed contractors who band together and rent homes / cottages on relatively short-term basis as they are on rolling 1 month and 2 month contracts.

I think the issue here is the fact that the "guests" are of no fixed abode - until they gain access to the holiday let.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

zebedee wrote:Mel House wrote;

I think the issue here is the fact that the "guests" are of no fixed abode - until they gain access to the holiday let.

Are they working temporarily in the area or are they locals? Can you check with a company. If they have no other fixed abode you could be in trouble. An AST would be min of 6 months, & they probably don't have the deposit to put down. Can you ask where ther are booked into until Nov - can you contact the propertry owner to verify them?
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I was uncomfortable about the situation

I know they are working but would be concerned that they could be moving a huge number of possessions in..

They asked for a discount .. I said sorry I couldn't provide one.. so I don't think I will hear from them again...

If they do get back to me I will ask the questions suggested ... Many thanks
emmavix

Post by emmavix »

Hmmm, we've just had guests move out (yesterday but we're due to stay till the 3rd), not a young couple plus dog by any chance? They left early after complaints from our neighbours about how rude they were when out dog walking. They wanted their deposit back in full without us checking over the place & when we looked they had not mentioned to us a leaking pipe that had caused mould that they hadn't cleaned up. Just mentioning in case it's the same people!