How do I stop my husband panicking??

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
CarolineJ

How do I stop my husband panicking??

Post by CarolineJ »

Bit of a lighthearted question, but would be interested if anyone else has had the same problem!

After two years of renovations, our first ever guests arrived yesterday :D My husband spent the entire evening fidgeting and saying, 'But what if they're cold? What if they don't like it? What if there's a mouse in the house? What if...' and driving me utterly crackers. I have pointed out that (a) they know where we live (they stopped at our drive and asked for directions!), (b) our phone number and email address is in the information book, (c) there are clear instructions on how to change the heating temperature, (d) we haven't had any mice since the extractor fans got fitted and blocked the holes they were coming in through, (e) we'd made it to 10pm without any complaints, so they were probably reasonably happy, but he's been stressing this evening as well. Since I walked past the house this morning to feed the sheep and saw Mrs guest sitting on the living room windowsill in her pyjamas with a mug of tea, looking out over the snow and sea in the sunshine with an enormous smile on her face, I'm guessing they're quite content.

How many bookings does it take for people to stop panicking that the guests are going to hate everything and demand a refund?
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

A text, email or quick call routinely after guests arrive should do it for him. Something on the lines of”is everything ok for you at ....”
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Whisky.
Or gin.
Or beer.
If it's a bad case, insert the words 'lots of' before each of the above...
KathyG

Re: How do I stop my husband panicking??

Post by KathyG »

CarolineJ wrote: How many bookings does it take for people to stop panicking that the guests are going to hate everything and demand a refund?
About 5 years worth I would say..... :wink:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Ask him: "What if they are having a great time and enjoying themselves?"
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I'm an offsite owner (230 miles away) so I always ring my visitors after their arrival to:

. Check that they have arrived safely
. That everything is to their satisfaction

Without exception they seem to like someone having a concern for them. I also telephone again before departure to check that they have enjoyed their holiday and that everything in the house was fine for the duration. This avoids the "late" complainers who are after a refund.
The best things in life are free
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I have to say two years in I still get these feelings! Especially on changeover day - once they are in and as you say if I haven't heard anything by about 10pm I do relax a bit. But I'm hoping once I've been doing it a few more years I might chill out a bit!
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

Thanks, everyone! He's chilled out a bit this evening, thank goodness :)
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...