Norfolk 2nd home/holiday rental search

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Happy home 4

Norfolk 2nd home/holiday rental search

Post by Happy home 4 »

We are looking for a second home in North Nofolk (north of Dereham). We have gauged that North of the A148 is the most popular for rental properties, as people like being near the North Norfolk coast.

Personally, we had always wanted a country property in a small central village or semi rural location, but now we are not sure how successful this would be as a rental property and are now looking at some property (which is more costly) north of the A148.

If you have any experience and advice about renting in Norfolk, it would be hugely appreciated. We feel we are deviating from our original plan and are not sure whether it is the right thing to do.
Thank you!
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Try searching for other FHL in the same area on the letting agent sites to see if there are others in the area and have a look at what bookings they have and how much there going for.
Happy home 4

Post by Happy home 4 »

Thanks very much for the reply. This fantastic website is full of information and am finding it really useful. Yes, will certainly do that. We’ve done some research along these lines, but will do some more to really get a feel.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I've heard of some people giving up their holiday rentals there as they've had such trouble finding good cleaners. As the north has become such a honeypot for people having second homes, the locals have been driven out. No locals - not enough people willing to do these jobs.

Personally a coastal home anywhere along the Norfolk coast will do well if marketed correctly. Rural properties are harder to market and not so popular but can still do well with the right person behind them and lots of marketing. Finding a niche is very helpful too whether that be wildlife, cyclists, walkers, golfers or dog owners, the biggest market of all niches.
Happy home 4

Post by Happy home 4 »

Thanks for the info Nemo. Yes, I can understand what you are saying about the second home owners. I guess this term racks up images of rich people buying up property rural areas for investment only. My sister, who is my only living relative, is in Norfolk and that is my primary reason for buying there. I would need to rent it out to cover the cost of the property. Hopefully, it will be a good base to spend quality time with family whether it is in the countryside, village or coastal area.
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

There is a massive amount of lovely villages North of the A47. The area is particularly good for cycling and walking. That is where I will eventually be retiring to (we live near Cambridge). Unfortunately, from a holiday letting perspective, the vast majority of visitors to the County think that the coast and The Broads are all Norfolk has to offer. If you want to maximise bookings you can’t beat the coast. We bought a small one bed property in Sheringham last year and it went ‘live’ in April this year. We are letting through Keys in Sheringham at the moment and have been pretty happy with the number of bookings considering it is our first year. The cleaning company we use was recommended to us by Keys and they have been excellent.
I reckon an inland property could work well as long as it is in a village with a few facilities, most importantly a pub that does food, and preferably a little shop. This alone would dramatically shorten the list of potential villages. If you want to use the place a fair bit yourselves then an inland place may actually suit your needs well as there would be more ‘empty’ weeks. We haven’t been able to use our place for a few months as it is booked up!
Good luck in finding somewhere suitable!
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I don't know much about Norfolk as such, but my impression is that inland/rural properties do much better if they are dog friendly. If you decide to go for this type of property, marketing it for dogs would probably help your bookings.