UK - SBRR and refuse discounts

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
ianh100

UK - SBRR and refuse discounts

Post by ianh100 »

Hi All,
Refuse is a tricky thing for holiday lets in the UK.

We qualify for small business rates relief and our local council have been giving us a discount on our commercial waste charges. This was based on some changes in 2012 where FHL used to get free waste collection but then no longer qualified. To minimise the impact they gave a discount to FHL that were on SBRR.

They have now reinterpreted the regulation to be that the discount only applies to properties that got SBRR on April the 5th 2012, we bought the property a month later!

They are referring to the 2012 regulation: 11. 4 To minimise the impact of the requirements on small and micro businesses, this instrument provides for an exemption from waste disposal charges for businesses which are currently (a) eligible for free waste disposal and (b) entitled to Small Business Rate Relief.

It is not clear to me if they are just interpreting differently or if they should never have given us a discount. I am pretty sure the previous owners were on SBRR so it seems unfair that just because a property changes hands that the discount is lost.

Anyone else see their local authority try this tactic?

What's even more frustrating is my neighbor now listing on Airbnb and not paying for commercial waste disposal. As far as I can see any property with a paying guest is generating commercial waste.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Our local authority has never offered a commercial waste service and every business makes their own arrangements with private suppliers. So we've never had any discount for being a small business - except that you need the bins emptied less frequently and so pay less.
Can you opt out of the council service if you feel it is too expensive?
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi NewTimber

We have not had the need to look for an alternative without the discount we will be paying about £9 per week for 2 140ltr bins. I doubt a private contractor would be cheaper.

I am more frustrated with the principle of them taking away a discount we have had for 6 years and would still get had we completed the purchase about 3 weeks earlier.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

My private contractor charges around £25 for 2 bins.
The best things in life are free
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I would report the neighbour to the council and the enviroment agency.

Dispose of the waste yourself, yes you can.....

All you need is commercial recycling company that accepts waste in small quantities. They usually charge roughly £1.20 per 10KG.

You'll need a waste Carriers license from the enviroment agency costing £162 for your first three years or £54 a year which reduces to £33 a year after the first three years.

You'll need a reflective tabard and a hard hat (£30) as a one off payment that allows you into a waste recycling yard.

Weigh it in and pay and you'll get a Waste Transfer Note. This is important, it proves that you have disposed of your waste correctly, keep them for two years.

My council wanted £430 for essentially a fortnightly collection over 9 months. Others wanted between £320 and £540.

This year doing it myself its cost me £54 + £14.63 = £68.63