Helpful Holidays - anyone got out of a contract with them?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I am with cottages.com and at last have i got around to emailing them about this potential problem. I asked if this could happen to me and in fact anybody using them as an agent.

There answer was YES! They went on to say that anybody can book a property assuming that payment goes through etc etc inc local authorities and councils.

I've asked if it's possible for me to cancel such bookings if such a booking takes place. I'm told that i can cancel any booking i'm not happy with as long as i have good reason, whatever that means.

When bookings come through i know the address of the person that booked so i'm guessing that it should be easy to spot such bookings i hope and deal with it asap. However being the person i am i have absolutely no problem if cancelling fails just not being there with the keys on the day of arrival and then sort it afterwards.
Willoughby St Just

Post by Willoughby St Just »

That is interesting because I am in the process now of moving to Cottages.com. I've also been told I don't have to accept all bookings as long as I have good reason. That is fare enough. I understand anyone can book online.

The problem with HH was finally sorted last week. Following a letter from me mentioning various facts, they will let me go without penalty :) I'm so grateful for everyone's support on this. Fingers crossed things will go better with my new agent!

Thank you!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Delighted for you!
russellt

Post by russellt »

Willoughby St Just wrote:they will let me go without penalty
Great news!

I mentioned your case to an industry insider who knows HH well. She was completely shocked and amazed that the owners would risk their reputation like this.

It pays to persevere. Sometimes the little guy has to make a stand.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Willoughby St Just

Thank you!! I'm not actually sure who owns the company anymore. I think it might actually be owned by Sykes now. I never once got a response from the named MD and I don't think he is there anymore!
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Good news. Well done for persevering.
The best things in life are free
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Congratulations - what a relief that must be!
I wonder if they’re now going to very quietly drop the practice, or continue on the basis that they generally get away with it? Hmmm...
Willoughby St Just

Thank you!! I think they'll continue unfortunately. Most people would have given in!!
Groucho

Helpful Holidays - anyone got out of a contract with them?

Post by Groucho »

I've just read this thread, which is very interesting in view of the question I asked in my post last August under "Helpful Holidays and Sykes Cottages" (it started “Are there any Helpful Holidays' owners out there who have concerns about the takeover of Helpful Holidays by Sykes Cottages?”). In fairness, in the years I was with HH, I never encountered the kind of problem booking that Willoughby St Just has had to deal with. However, that does make me think that the influence of Sykes on HH that I was worried about has manifested itself for him. If so, it has vindicated my decision to move from HH following the Sykes takeover.

I didn’t have any problems ending the contract, other than initially being unable to get clarity on the annual period the contract ran for (i.e. was it the calendar year, or the 12 months period running from the date I signed the contract?). Once that was confirmed, I just gave the requisite notice. Anyway, I'm glad that Willoughby St Just has been able to extricate himself from his problem.
Martha

Post by Martha »

So pleased for you! What a weight off your mind, and thanks for sharing the experience here so others can learn from it!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Willoughby St Just

Thank you everyone. It is definitely a weight off my mind and I'm so pleased I don't have to pay to leave!