Risk Assessments.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

COYS - I think you might have missed a few, but I’m assuming you’ve already gone through the getting dressed stage injury free, so congratulations there; anyone else reading, do be careful with those zips... :shock: :shock:

I always think that looking at extremes is worthwhile as a means of rationalising what is reasonable (not just for RAs either), and your example is spot on!
I was once involved in an office meeting where a workplace RA was being discussed. It got to the point where somebody was seriously questioning whether staff should be allowed scissors or staplers, and then raised the concern that anyone could easily poke their eye out with a pencil... A rather regrettable incident occurred before the same contributor managed to mention paper cuts, but as a result of that incident one item was added to the RA: when attending meetings, ties should not be worn as there is a very real risk of someone showing a total lack of Common Sense being strangled by other attendees. Seemed reasonable...
CSE

Post by CSE »

Some of you are not taking this very seriously. You have a duty of care to who ever enters your property. You have a duty of care to yourselves.
Safety towards those you enter your property:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/the-postm ... n-11622387
So of the list below is relevant about insuring safe entry to your house.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2925 ... -what.html
Self employment: Of cause you could Blame the EU for not give you a level playing field. https://rospaworkplacesafety.com/2013/0 ... afety-law/

Risk assessments, Seeing as a certain government minster never undertook them and escaped the chop, hopefully you can too. :lol:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Whilst we should take note, I really believe that apart from the construction industry where 3 people a day would die before the tightening up of H&S the rest of it is to give employment to people without any skills or future to have something to do and to keep sales of the Daily Wail (which they read) Up.
Feckin overheads most of them.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
COYS

Post by COYS »

Sorry casasantoestevo, I stand suitably chastised (after first assessing the potential dangers of standing for prolonged periods of course) but having spent a lifetime of self employment in a hazardous occupation I can't help but wonder how I've survived relatively unscathed into my fifties without being nannied over the basic elements of everyday life.
I'm not trying to suggest that we as owners shouldn't be aware of certain realistic risks & act or advise accordingly with due care. The point I was trying to make in a light hearted way is simply that it can all get a bit Monty Python if we are worrying about the tiniest thing & trying to legislate for mishaps that may happen even in the most mundane of basic activities. The one thing you cannot legislate for (as teapot rightly pointed out) is human nature. Or ignorance. Or stupidity. Or actual accidents. Or .... you get the picture.
As an accommodation & pool provider we already have page upon page of advice, guidelines, recommendations & signage, same with fire response & escape etc. Whether or not visitors choose to consider such material is debatable. That I can understand but we are veering towards parody when people are considering draining their heating or dismantling their plumbing systems on the infinitesimal chance that they possibly, just maybe, in neglecting to do so, are on the verge of a bacterial apocalypse!
It is ridiculous & impossible to think of or eliminate every element of risk in every action & almost the whole overblown industry could be chalked off with plain old fashioned common sense.
Now I'm off to catch the football results, which is a risk in itself being a Spurs fan!
Lighten up a little folks, be careful out there & have a safe Christmas :)
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Just to add you don't need to worry about the heating circuit, only the hot water at the point it becomes and aersehol
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Drax

Post by Drax »

I have found some of the light-hearted comments on this subject quite amusing but casantoestovo is correct to state that we have a duty of care to our guests.
Bearing in mind that legionnaires disease can be deadly and we know there are links with this disease and our water systems I would hate to think that through my negligence someone contracted legionella.
Being sued through the courts could also be financially ruinous.
Love them or hate them risk assessments, especially for legionella, is quite sensible.
Keep your powder dry.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Are you forgetting the risk of polluted air around us.....&#128563;&#128567;
COYS

Post by COYS »

pambon wrote:Are you forgetting the risk of polluted air around us.....&#128563;&#128567;
Right that's it! Time to stop breathing that nasty air ....... oops!
teapot

Post by teapot »

By all means have a legionella test done. One of our shower heads tested positive but the count was so low it wasn't a risk to anyone with a normal immune system. soaked the shower head in vinegar and washed it through with off the boil water and no problem since.

Drax you fixed one would normally secure with the threaded collar above the head.

If you run a hot tub or spa you are required to have legionella tests quarterly now.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Light hearted, no problem but you are all mean tot be professional, you are the opposition of the hotel groups which (so it is said ) think you get away with out licences and "controls".
Sometimes it seems as if some of you never take time to breath and think about what you write.
I would hate to be a postman to your house in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO57N03H3L0
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Drax

Post by Drax »

[quote="teapot"]By all means have a legionella test done. One of our shower heads tested positive but the count was so low it wasn't a risk to anyone with a normal immune system. soaked the shower head in vinegar and washed it through with off the boil water and no problem since.

Drax you fixed one would normally secure with the threaded collar above the head.

Thanks for the tip teapot, I shall endeavour to remove the shower head.
Keep your powder dry.
COYS

Post by COYS »

casasantoestevo wrote:Light hearted, no problem but you are all mean tot be professional, you are the opposition of the hotel groups which (so it is said ) think you get away with out licences and "controls".
Sometimes it seems as if some of you never take time to breath and think about what you write.
I would hate to be a postman to your house in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO57N03H3L0
As I said, light hearted, so why the need to cast doubt on my professionalism? I’m afraid you’re mistaken so to be perfectly clear I am a staunch advocate of licensing & regulation having spent almost 6 years on a GNTO lobby group pushing for legalising the private sector in our area. With licensing now in place you will know from other posts that I’ve contributed to that I am also a stickler for operating within the bounds of regulation - including health & safety where necessary just as we all should.
In my other life in construction I deal with futile risk assessment on a daily basis & much - not all of it - is complete & utter tosh & in many cases utterly restrictive to what you are supposed to achieve. Where it has been required H&S has improved beyond measure from when I started at 16. But it is the plethora of imagined terror that deems the simplest of everyday tasks as life threatening that is now affecting every decision we make & we are worrying ourselves senseless over nothing much of the time.
I am also a committed realist & neither you, I, nor anyone else will ever be able to live, work, play in or provide a risk free environment whatever the latest quango will have you believe or however many vague assessments you dream up.
So, yes whilst I always try to ensure that I’m providing a predominantly safe environment for my guests, I don’t try to pretend that I can eliminate every element of risk nor fret unduly over every negligible possibility or scenario.
Maybe because we live in such a knee jerk & litigious world we are becoming incapable of making common sense decisions without checklists, diktats or delegation. Each to their own.
As for the postman, we had 6 inches of snow overnight. RA suggests it will be cold, wet & slippery so due diligence may need engaging (pay attention all you ski resort owners!) I have 13 steps outside my house (slip resistant & regulation handrailed) so maybe it’s gonna be a tense couple of days but I’m sure he/she can work it out all on his/her own - that is if they let him/her out at all :roll: :roll:
Last edited by COYS on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

COYS - no “Like” button but consider your post liked! Good to get a POV that combines common sense, real world experience and professionalism - thanks.
pambon

Post by pambon »

+ 1
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

+1