New Holiday Let Cleaning Advice

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Angel1

New Holiday Let Cleaning Advice

Post by Angel1 »

So we've had our cottage for a couple of months and decided to let it out full time as we're moving out of the area. I've got most things covered just need some advise about changeover cleaning services.

I'm thinking of going for a local person rather than a company but not sure what I should be charging. It's a 3 bed (2 double/1 single), 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining room, utility room, 2 sitting rooms, largish garden. There may be some back to back cleans but mostly just changeover. Extras would be a linen service, key holder, garden tidying. I have absolutely no idea what the going rate is so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Tia.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi Angel1,
Prices vary a lot from area to area. Where there are a lot of holiday let’s and shortage of affordable accommodation, it can be difficult to recruit good cleaners and therefore the prices are higher.
It might be worthwhile interviewing some agencies to ask how many man hours you need and see what their costs are. Then deduct what you think their commission will be.

You may need a back up cleaner in case yours is on holiday or sick, agencies take this worry away. Remember if you recruit someone who has never done a holiday let before you will need to teach them how you want the property presented and what to report to you immediately.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

You'll need to charge whatever the cleaner charges you plus something for the materials used to clean the place and indeed any other costs incurred.

I'm assuming you have factored in window cleaning, waste disposal, linen etc and the welcome pack and more.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

As a rough guide, our 3 bedroom place takes 6 hours to clean properly, that includes cleaning a woodburner but your place has an extra sitting room so I’d add a bit. That doesn’t include any garden or exterior cleaning, obviously includes making up beds but not doing the laundry.

So a minimum of 6-7 hours at whatever the going rate is locally.

Can’t help with the keyholder etc - assuming this would be you local contact on standby for problems? - linen service and garden tidying I’d guess would be about the same hourly rate as the cleaning, unless you’re thinking of using a commercial laundry or linen hire service.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Each time I read a thread on the subject I feel the need to bang my head against the wall. It is by far our single biggest source of frustration & friction.
Cost I can’t help with because of the variables involved but I would urge you to choose carefully, suggest a trial period before entering into contract & most of all don’t be afraid to change if you’re dissatisfied with it. Personally I’ve found that a local individual or two are far more conscientious & diligent than an agency or company of sub contractors & for that I would happily pay a premium. Trouble is they are like gold dust.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Angel1

Post by Angel1 »

Thank you all for your advice, yes I would prefer individual{s) rather than an agency so I get to know my helper personally. 6-7 hours would probably cover the inside and the rest would be extras. Now to find that wonderful person :roll:
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

+1 to finding a local person. Mine is wonderful, often takes care of little extras and also has a friend who can act as a backup if she is on holiday or sick. I make sure to show my appreciation with a big bonus at the end of the season!

I found her on Facebook by posting on a 'local news' type page. If there is a local buy and sell or news and gossip type group or page in your area might be worth a go.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have finally found someone who is very good that I can rely on... I also have a back up person

This is after a string of somewhat useless people. One had me travelling down (a two and a half to 3 hour journey) before guests arrived to make sure everything was acceptable...

I mainly relied on a local newsagents notice board: I either responded to ads or put my own up. (One person, who was good came through recommendation but stopped after 6 months or so)

One problem was that I often had to find someone with very little time another was that I initially assumed (mistakenly) that people would do a good job.

The tricky thing subsequently (after giving feedback that made no difference) became how to ask someone to leave

What helped:
  • I developed a very long list of tasks required .. which in effect was a job description.
    I also made sure I asked for and took up references. This was especially helpful.
    When my ad was up for a longer period (after I had taken someone on) I kept all details of people who contacted me and the next time I was looking again I contacted them all.
My small cottage sleeps 3 with 2 bedrooms. I pay £60 a changeover (occasionally a little more) .. My housekeeper will call round if guests have a problem and will put out bins etc. when guests are not there.