Hive thermostat winter temperature setting

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Rich&Lisa Roman

Hive thermostat winter temperature setting

Post by Rich&Lisa Roman »

What would you say is an acceptable temperature for the thermostat to be set at?
We live in our own renovated cottage and feel others should share this experience.

Website - www.romancottagecolerne.co.uk
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Perhaps you could explain when you are thinking of. When the property is empty??
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I see that the recommended temperature is now 18 throughout the house. But most guests seem to want it far hotter - 21 is normal, 25 for people coming from abroad who are used to hotter indoor temperature
teapot

Post by teapot »

Does what you set the thermostat to correlate to what temperature the room reaches? Mrs T sometimes turns it up to 25c but it never gets that warm, the boiler isn't big enough but it pleases her to think it is :lol:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Rich&Lisa Roman

We have set the hive thermostat to 20 when we have guests. We try not to look at the temperature levels when we have guests, but for some reason you do. We were surprised that guests would want 24-25!

Is this the norm?

Whilst the property is vacant we set the thermostat at 17.
We live in our own renovated cottage and feel others should share this experience.

Website - www.romancottagecolerne.co.uk
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I always leave mine at 20 oC for guests but they almost always turn it up to about 23. To be fair we have also found this is needed to heat the room properly. As the thermostat is at the radiator I guess it doesn’t work out that it’s still a bit chilly on the other side of the room.
teapot

Post by teapot »

teapot wrote:Does what you set the thermostat to correlate to what temperature the room reaches? Mrs T sometimes turns it up to 25c but it never gets that warm, the boiler isn't big enough but it pleases her to think it is :lol:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

16 overnight
20 from 7am til 10am
16 from 10-4
23 from 4 til midnight

Guests can over ride very easily if they want to
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Rich and Lisa wrote
Is this the norm?
Ah, how I long for a definitive reply to this question about the normality of guests from Essar :D

I don’t think there is a normal. It depends upon whether or not your property is an ancient stone building or one two years old with the latest insulation. Are the guests young and totally immune to the cold (go into any city at night to see what I mean).

Everyone has a different level of comfort and don’t forget guests have arrived with a suitcase of clothes so may not be able to pull on that thick jumper that they use at home. The most important thing is that there is some way in which guests can alter the heating to suit their needs.

Then you have to consider what type of holiday they are having, restful, energetic activity holiday???

Finally, what do they plan on doing during their holiday........perhaps best not to go there :oops: :oops: :oops:
teapot

Post by teapot »

Fat guests need less heat :lol: :wink:
Janev1000

Post by Janev1000 »

17c overnight
20c from approx 6am-10am
18c during the day
20/21c from approx 4pm until 11.30pm

Most guests seems to be happy with this but can easily increase/decrease the thermostat should they want to. We also have a woodburner, which most guests use.

When the property is vacant it can drop as low as 11/12c. We're not on mains gas (LPG bottles) so sadly too expensive to leave running any higher!
Rich&Lisa Roman

Thank you for your replies, very informative.

Merry Christmas everyone
x