Sharing WiFi

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
ianh100

Sharing WiFi

Post by ianh100 »

Hi All,

We are about to get much faster broadband (around 60MB), we currently have 2 adjacent properties and because of the very slow broadband (1.5mb) have paid for a line and router to each. I think that the 60MB or more than enough to share between them so plan to cancel one of the lines.

I plan to install a new router in one property and connect this to access points in each (I can run an Ethernet cable between them).

Ideally I would like to be able to:

Share bandwidth so that either can have full bandwidth unless there is contention, at this point they get a 50/50 share.

have a separate SSID for each building so there is no risk of a technical guest trying to access devices in the adjacent building.

Connect myself via VPN to manage the setup and local devices

Anything else I need to consider?

The simplest route would seem to be to just use two access points or a mesh system and just one SSID but these solutions don't really address the things I want to do.

I know there are a few of you here with multiple units on one site so hope have addressed these sorts of issues.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

This is what I would do:

I would buy a draytek 2862ac-k VDSL router and place it as centrally as possible, if possible between the two properties.

Within its configuration you can create I think its upto 4 wireless SSID's to work independently of each other. Create two one for each property. Then configure each SSID to share 50/50 the available bandwidth. Job done. No need for ethernet cables or additional wireless access points.

If for some reason this is not possible then install the router in one of the properties and create one SSID for that property and run one Ethernet cable to a wireless access point in the other property with a SSID. Within the router create two VLAN's (Virtual Local Area Networks). VLAN 01 to share the routers SSID with two Ethernet ports and VLAN 02 to have the remaining Ethernet ports, connect your wifi access point to one of these ports. Within the routers configuration share available bandwidth between the two VLAN's. One router, one wifi access point.

You could disable the routers Wifi and have two Ethernet cables each to a wifi access point and still create two VLANS splitting the available Ethernet ports etc etc but why buy two access points?
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions, I have an existing Dratek router which is obviously only an n not ac WiFi device. I bought this a couple of years ago when BT said Infinity was due....

I have been using this at home and it is very configurable, just not very use friendly. I don't know if the interface has improved with later versions.

I could just about place the single router in a location that could reach all part of both buildings it would be getting marginal. If I am going to advertise Superfast (we actually got very close to 80MB in the end) then I should make sure it is reliable.

I have since managed to pick up a couple of Ubiquiti ac pro access points at a reasonable price so the current plan is to install one on the landing ceiling of each building, this should give each a good path to all rooms only needing to pass through a wooded floor or stud wall. As the cables can be in the loft and use POE I can reuse either the supplied router or my Drayek with it's WiFi turned off.

I have a couple of weeks to test this setup before I go and install so can try various SSID and have enough devices to stream 4x 4K TV streams to see what happens.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I'm guessing the router is a 2860n and that is the one i have and i look after another 7 elswhere at mo. I also have two 2862ac-k's too which are a lot better.

Update the firmware: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

Older router firmware can be found under Legacy Products.

Yes your right the interface is not user friendly but the online self help knowledge base is good and there tech support both by email, on the forum and over the phone is excellent.

If it were me and it was possible i would put in ethernet cables directly to things such as smart TV's and internet enabled devices such as Sky or smart DVD players etc. I get a lot of customers complaining about the reliability of WiFi, put in cables problem solved.

Something to think about, POE ethernet switches can get very warm and if it's in the loft it will get very warm / hot in summer. A potential fire hazard and or if it has an internal thermostatic switch to turn itself off when it gets hot you may find that your WiFi will basically switch off on hot days. They don't switch themselfs back on again when things cool down!

I've had them switch themselfs off for this reason on local campsites on hot days.
jafa

Post by jafa »

Im in Sherborne. Where about are you able to get that speed from?
Jafa