Wi-Fi, To Be or Not To Be.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Drax

Wi-Fi, To Be or Not To Be.

Post by Drax »

Currently we do not have Wi-Fi in our holiday home and I have been debating whether to have it installed. My wife does not want it because of the additional cost. (We have had some recent expense already on the property including a new block-paved footpath, a new cooker, new locks installed plus a new web site.)
I have been quoted £29.99 per month for 20-28 MB unlimited Broadband by BT but tied in for 18 months. Or alternatively £29.99 per month with 10-19 MB, with an installation fee of £49.00 but I can terminate this at any time.
We do try to keep our rental prices competitive but with costs mounting on maintaining and updating our holiday let it is a balancing act to make it attractive to guests but not to lose money in the process.
Do other LMH's consider it worthwhile and more importantly cost effective to have Wi-Fi installed?
Keep your powder dry.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Yes. Essential.
Your deal with BT is a very good one. If you put up prices by £10 per week you would more than cover it and likely get more bookings throughout the year.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Have you checked a comparison site?
Most people have a data allowance on their phones so email is easy and occasional web browsing. They used to be called holidays!
Still we have to provide :)
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
COYS

Post by COYS »

zebedee wrote:Yes. Essential.
Your deal with BT is a very good one. If you put up prices by £10 per week you would more than cover it and likely get more bookings throughout the year.
+1
It's a a no-brainer.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Marks

Post by Marks »

What they said.

No brainer. As essential as hot water and electricity.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

Absolutely - first question asked whenever guests arrive - "what is the wi-fi key?". I think people expect it these days.
Puffin Lodge Filey

Post by Puffin Lodge Filey »

We're in a very competitive market and so I think it's essential. We started off with Sky broadband just over a year ago and have just upgraded to Sky Fibre Unlimited.
Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass… it’s about learning to dance in the rain.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I second The Olive Grove wholeheartedly.
Absolutely essential these days.
As Zebedee said, put the prices up to cover your additional costs, ensure that FREE Wi-Fi is prominent in your advertising, and you will probably get more bookings. I certainly would not want to book anywhere without internet availability, even though I do not have a smart phone. :oops: :D
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I would not rent a cottage without it - it's the first thing guests ask for - the wifi code. Important to get a reliable one, but put in your T&Cs that it is provided FOC, and you cannot be held responsible for technological breakdowns!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Drax - is your property in Yorkshire Dales, if so can you put up your website as I will be looking soon for that area. Thanks.
Sapper

Wifi

Post by Sapper »

We have Talktalk ,simply broadband , no telephone calls but unlimited internet for £20 a month
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

As others have said it’s essential, and you’ll lose bookings without it.
I envy you the rates you’ve been quoted! In our area of the Dales the nearest fibre installation doesn’t reach us and we’ve just splashed out a lot to upgrade from unsatisfactory ADSL to a microwave radio to fibre system. The monthly cost will be a lot more than your quotes and the service will be capped, so I’m also having to spend to be able to manage data allowances per stay.
End of whinge!
Drax

Post by Drax »

Thank you for your replies and suggestions you have been very helpful.
Regarding other companies, for some reason (I did not quite understand what the lady was saying) Talk-Talk cannot provide me with this connection.
Obviously you are all in favour of Wi-Fi and have convinced me that this is the way forward, my job now is to convince my wife.
By showing her your replies may help.
Keep your powder dry.
teapot

Post by teapot »

:lol:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Plusnet do cheap business broadband on a 24 month contract. From £18 a month.