Mattisons Cosmopolitan mattress

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
sparkJS

Mattisons Cosmopolitan mattress

Post by sparkJS »

I am about to upgrade to a king size bed due to popular demand. An earlier thread on this forum suggested Mattisons Cosmopolitan was really good. When I looked on the website the King size mattress was about £200. This seems really cheap. Can someone confirm that I am not about to order a poor quality mattress?

Many thanks.
MG
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi,
I ordered a mattress from them last year, and in the end went for their Memory Hotel one, which is more than the Cosmopolitan ( nearer £500) (just found the order form) but we have been very pleased with it. It is very comfortable, as I’ve slept on it myself.
Our hand carved four poster bed is our USP so didn’t want to take a chance, but then I am cautious by nature.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have the Cosmopolitan in two properties. I am very happy with them. They're cheap because they are a real trade supplier and you're buying from the manufacturer, no middle men involved.

Cosmopolitan has the lowest number of pocket springs in their range. I spoke to Mattisons prior to ordering and they explained the lower the number of springs, the softer the mattress. I detest hard "orthopaedic" style mattresses and have had plenty of happy, returning guests. It's still very supportive though.
kathiejs

Post by kathiejs »

A good orthopaedic mattress isn't hard! A hard mattress is murder on your back (I recently spent 2.5 years in Asia :( ) - a good orthopaedic one is firm underneath with a soft layer on top that accommodates your hips and allows you to lie on your side with your spine straight. Very comfortable.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I have 2 cosmo doubles in a rental flat. Tenants said they were v comfy, 2years old now and no evidence of sagging. They were c 220 each so money well spent, true trade supplier hence price.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Again, very pleased with our Cosmopolitan. We have had guests ask where we got it.

I think that someone here mentioned that the reason they are so cheap is that the mattress business is known to be one where the retail mark up is particularly high. So it's more like buying a -say- £500 mattress from the high street.