Air Conditioning

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
shaz

Air Conditioning

Post by shaz »

We have to have air conditioning installed for our rental licence. We are quite concerned that some guests might leave the a.c. on 24 hours as it will be included in the rental price. Does anyone know how much this would cost for three units.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Cost of installation or cost of running the units?

I have three very efficient low consumption Panasonic Econavi units. Total cost of electricity for 2017 (consumption & standing charges) was a little over 1400€. 258 nights booked.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Yes, I'm afraid they will almost definitely be left running almost constantly, probably on a setting that is way off from being practical.
Unfortunately we don't have units as efficient as Marks but if I were considering installation now (ours are 10 yrs old) would certainly splash out on advanced tech units. It will pay dividends in the long run.
Although our season is relatively short at around 16 weeks our summer energy bills average >150eu per week. I live in dread of the July/August meter readings :shock:
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Much against the grain we put ours on a meter. We are fully booked
shaz

Post by shaz »

Hi roxytoo yes a meter would solve the problem but l as far as I am aware that is against the law. Perhaps something has changed. Do you have a rental licence and do they now allow you to do that.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

yes I have a rental licence, it doesn't seem to be a problem
shaz

Post by shaz »

Hi roxytoo. Do you buy the air conditioning units with the meters already installed or is it something you have to buy separately.
shaz

Post by shaz »

Marks wrote:Cost of installation or cost of running the units?

I have three very efficient low consumption Panasonic Econavi units. Total cost of electricity for 2017 (consumption & standing charges) was a little over 1400€. 258 nights booked.

Hi Marks they sound very effecient. Do you have a pool and irregation system as your bills sound very cheap.
Marks

Post by Marks »

shaz wrote:

Hi Marks they sound very effecient. Do you have a pool and irregation system as your bills sound very cheap.
2 bedroom apartment with 3 units. Standard Iberdrola tarriff.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
shaz

Post by shaz »

Marks wrote:
shaz wrote:

2 bedroom apartment with 3 units. Standard Iberdrola tarriff.
thank you Marks
joddle

Post by joddle »

We too are considering installing air con - at the moment we have a portable unit for the living area and 2 evaporative cooler units in the two bedrooms and have not had any complaints since we set these up. However we also have propane gas central heating to radiators for our own use in winter and recently for the first time ever did some lets over the Christmas season and the cost of running the heating even with a mild winter came to around 9e per day. (measured from actual gas usage). I suspect in colder weather that could rise to around 12e per day.

If we installed air con we would need three units - one for the living area and one for each bedroom - but the problem with installing air con is that all the available units seem to be inverter types these days with heating as well as cooling and really we don't need the heating aspect. Also the units seem very overpowered for our two small bedrooms as at home we have 1.3KW units and in small bedrooms they are more than enough. the third issue is that if we run three higher power units then our electricity may pop out if several other things were all running as well.

A meter does seem a good way to control usage or are there systems which can be remotely controlled and pre-set like Hive does for Central heating? If not then we have to meter or cost daily use of the air con and add it to the rental prices !!!

Can anyone recommend small efficient air con units? - and how do others cost out their air con?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
teapot

Post by teapot »

joddle wrote: but the problem with installing air con is that all the available units seem to be inverter types these days with heating as well as cooling and really we don't need the heating aspect.
Inverters allow the use of variable speed and hence quieter, cheaper to run units. It is the reversible units that offer heating.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

joddle wrote:

A meter does seem a good way to control usage or are there systems which can be remotely controlled and pre-set like Hive does for Central heating? If not then we have to meter or cost daily use of the air con and add it to the rental prices !!!

Can anyone recommend small efficient air con units? - and how do others cost out their air con?
LG a/c units with WiFi. IntesisHome WiFi A/C controllers. We ask guests before they arrive at what times and what temperature they want AC and set it up to run automatically for them. Our power bill s have reduced significantly since we started doing this. We've also found that asking guests' preferences makes them think about what they want rather than mindlessly setting a/c at coldest and on 24/7.
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
joddle

Post by joddle »

Thanks Teapot and Puglia - valuable info - I must find out more it seems as my knowledge of AC units is pretty dire! More research needed here me thinks.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Not at all Joddle, it's trying to keep up with developments that's the issue.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world