Anyone come across Stayando.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
drumchork

Post by drumchork »

I've had some emails to my holiday house saying i've registered with them ( No I didn't ! ).
AndrewH

stayando.com

Post by AndrewH »

This is what their website says:

StayanDo are on a mission to make travel in Scotland more memorable, and show you the very best of local communities - accommodation, activities & experiences.

It looks as if they are also on a mission to recruit owners/advertisers, by fair means or foul.
drumchork

Post by drumchork »

Thanks, I've not come across them before, I've had 4 emails in one night, think I'll give them a miss though.
Justlikehome

Re: Anyone come across Stayando.com

Post by Justlikehome »

drumchork wrote:Anyone come across Stayando.com
I've had some emails to my holiday house saying i've registered with them ( No I didn't ! ).
I am a host with them and I know there are a growing number of others, all around Scotland. They seem a pleasant change from the transatlantic corporates!

A mate of mine (also with a rental) received the same email but then got another and hour or so later with a humble apology. I think they had sent out the wrong template. No harm done, responsibility taken. I'm surprised you got more than one saying that you'd signed up. Are you sure?

I am sure they are kosher and provide something new. Give them a try.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Have you read the Forum rules, Justlikehome?

I ask that because when somebody makes their very first post an endorsement of a site, it sets alarm bells ringing! My apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree, but do you have some personal connection with stayanddo, apart from being a 'host'?
Justlikehome

No connection with StayanDo other than Host (various sites)

Post by Justlikehome »

FelicityA wrote:Have you read the Forum rules, Justlikehome?

I ask that because when somebody makes their very first post an endorsement of a site, it sets alarm bells ringing! My apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree, but do you have some personal connection with stayanddo, apart from being a 'host'?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Somebody with the appropriate legal knowledge might put me right on this, but isn’t a trading website supposed to have a bit more information than just a contact form for getting in touch? Registered office address? Who the “Company” is in their agreements? A pop-up Cookies warning when you enter the site?

Confidence inspiring or what....
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

greenbarn wrote:Somebody with the appropriate legal knowledge might put me right on this, but isn’t a trading website supposed to have a bit more information than just a contact form for getting in touch? Registered office address? Who the “Company” is in their agreements? A pop-up Cookies warning when you enter the site?

This is a list of Website Legislation and Regulations for the UK, taken straight from an internet search:

The Data Protection Act 1998
The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations
Accessibility - The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA)
E-Commerce Regulations 2002
W3C Validation (World Wide Web Consortium)
The Companies Act 2008

I wish I had the knowledge to add more information.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

You cannot possibly enter into a contract with an entity or person if you don't know their identity.

For a company that would be the legal registered entity name (which you could check on Companies House, for example), and for a sole trader that would be a trading name/style and the name of the individual.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

AndrewH wrote:
greenbarn wrote:Somebody with the appropriate legal knowledge might put me right on this, but isn’t a trading website supposed to have a bit more information than just a contact form for getting in touch? Registered office address? Who the “Company” is in their agreements? A pop-up Cookies warning when you enter the site?

This is a list of Website Legislation and Regulations for the UK, taken straight from an internet search:

The Data Protection Act 1998
The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations
Accessibility - The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA)
E-Commerce Regulations 2002
W3C Validation (World Wide Web Consortium)
The Companies Act 2008

I wish I had the knowledge to add more information.
Thanks for the list AndrewH. I found an idiot’s guide to the E-Commerce Regulations which states what must be on the website:
“...includes your business name and a physical address. Providing just a PO Box address is not deemed acceptable. Other information that needs to be provided includes contact details, including an email address. If providing a 'contact us' form, a seller should still provide a contact email address.”

Which is pretty much what I thought and in line with what ManxRed1 says.

So Stayando don’t appear to have a grasp of the absolute basics of running a legitimate online business.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

greenbarn wrote:So Stayando don’t appear to have a grasp of the absolute basics of running a legitimate online business.
On the strength of that it would seem so. That guide has summed it up nicely. Facts well worth knowing.
Justlikehome

Post by Justlikehome »

FelicityA wrote:Have you read the Forum rules, Justlikehome?

No connection with StayanDo other than being a host with them, amongst others.
I genuinely like them. They are the antithesis of Airbnb and the like.