Website that helps you add a map to your site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
altyfc

Website that helps you add a map to your site

Post by altyfc »

Hi all,

Long time, no post... sorry about that. Good to see things are continuing to thrive here.

We've just created a new tool/website at http://www.aardvarkmap.net

It allows you to create a customised Google Maps map that you can send by email or add to your website, showing where your rental property (or properties) is/are... all in a matter of minutes.

The design is deliberately simple, to hopefully reflect the simplicity and ease with which you can create the maps.

From a tourism perspective, there are one or two nice features, such as the ability to add overlays with additional information (eg. tourist attractions) if you wish. This is only available for the UK at present, but will follow for other areas such as Europe and North America in due course.

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Aaron
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Aaron -

Welcome back. :)

I played around a bit with your application and had quite a bit of trouble navigating to where I wanted to go.

However, once I ooched around and got down to Poole, I positioned my hypothetical property marker and selected some activities to display with it.

I like it! Would love something like this for Lisbon as it would be a nice way to illustrate the general location of our properties (nothing specific, for security reasons) in relationship to the surrounding sites of interest.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
debk
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Aaron,

I had a mess around with it too, but couldn't get it to work and finally gave up - will give it another try...
paolo

Post by paolo »

Aaron,

Very nice, thank you for sharing. I will be adding this to my sites. I like the fact that you can zoom in and out and pan around, I think potential renters will find it useful and reassuring.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello Aaron,

I am with AOL, and I couldn't get your map facility to work with the AOL browser.

Absolutely no problems with IE.

Very handy stuff, thanks!

Jenny
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Thanks for the feedback, folks... we are working on changing a few things at the moment, based on feedback we have received. Essentially, we're trying to make the 'front end' more user friendly. It's easy with projects like this to get "too close" to them, and so it's been really useful to have feedback from here and one or two other places.

You can still use the site as it stands at the moment, but I'll post again shortly when we've made some revisions that make the site more user-friendly.

Thanks again

Aaron
charles

Post by charles »

Aaron,

That's very impressive - I'm working on a Google map application for my own site - so may "borrow" some ideas if I may :D

I would suggest you send the url to http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com (a very comprehensive blog about Google Maps) for some extra PR for it.

Cheers,
Charles
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Thanks, Charles... we don't want to 'spread the word' too early, but are looking to perfect the offering first. Hopefully, we should have it all polished off in the next week or two.

I'll be contacting that blog then... they've featured something we've done with Google Maps before as it happens, so I was aware of it, but thanks anyway. :)

Aaron
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Right, we have a new design now... http://www.aardvarkmap.net

...and we've included some example maps, too.

What do you think?

Thanks

Aaron
debk

Post by debk »

Well, I'm a poor test since I've already tried once... but this was much, much easier.

Now we just need some central Lisbon "points of interest". How can I help with that?

Thanks,
debk
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

You're a good test then, because you can confirm that the improvements have been worth it. :)

As for Lisbon, we should have hotel content through the Portugal hotel site we feed from. We hope to have attraction content at a later date.

Aaron
debk

Post by debk »

Not much interested in putting hotels on the map :) but attraction content will be great. Thanks!
debk
centime

Post by centime »

Another Lisbon lady likes it too, well done! Debk check this map of the free WIFI from CML in the Lisbon gardens it used the same Google generated maps. http://jardinsdigitais.cm-lisboa.pt/index.php?id=1142. :roll:
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
debk

Post by debk »

Nice, thanks, centime!
debk
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Just a thought, debk... but you realise you could plot attractions yourself if you wished. Here's a Lisbon map someone created just recently...

http://www.aardvarkmap.net/map/9OMVIBHG

I don't know which website it appears on, but it's obviously some food/cooking related site. You can do something similar to this but with tourist attractions instead.

Aaron