When can a guest take legal action?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Kilm

When can a guest take legal action?

Post by Kilm »

Hi folks,

My nightmare guests are still rolling on with their complaint.

I'm trying to establish when a guest has grounds to take action further than just a written complaint to the owner looking for a refund.

The house was habitable, the issues were minor and were all resolved by my property management team (extractor fan stopped working in bathroom, WiFi wasn't working for a few hours).

Under what circumstances could a guest take it further? Anyone been in this position before?
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Anybody can take legal action against anbody for any reason at any time. I could take legal action against you because i don't like the shape of your nose!!!!! And i haven't even met you. Doesn't mean my complaint will be successfull.
The house was habitable, the issues were minor and were all resolved by my property management team (extractor fan stopped working in bathroom, WiFi wasn't working for a few hours).
"The House was habitable!!!" Is there more to this than your telling us?

"extractor fan stopped working in bathroom" as long as it was rectified as soon as it was reported what more can you do?

"WiFi wasn't working for a few hours" So What! sorry for that but WiFi is a service that's beyond your control anyway, again as long as you tried your best to contact your ISP to find out why etc what more can you do?

Personnaly i think they'll get nowhere and pursueing a refund would cost them more than they will get back. Any good decent solicitor would send them away unless theres more to it than your telling us here.

Me, i would just stop corresponding with them and wait for a solicitors letter that i'm 99.9% confident won't get sent.
Kilm

Post by Kilm »

Hahaha, no, house is lovely, clean, huge hamper on arrival, all good.

They complained that the potato peeler wasn't very good. That's who we're dealing with here.

My poor booking agency are pulling their hair out as they're having to fend them off, but I've told them to contact me direct through my business email, and I'll tell them the matter is closed in my eyes as everything was responded to in a timeous manner.

Cheers!
Moonshine

Post by Moonshine »

I once had guests here who arrived early and then went away to do some shopping. Later that afternoon they phoned to say they weren't coming back because the Devon lanes were very narrow. It was their fault, they said, that they hadn't known about Devon lanes, and they didn't want their money back. A while later they emailed saying they had changed their mind and wanted a full refund after all. I wasn't sure how to reply so I took the email into the CAB in Totnes where the staff fell about laughing. They advised me not to reply in case I said something wrong, so I didn't, and never heard from the non-guests again.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Yes we have all had the chancers, i call them wikilawyers, 5 mins googling and they are off filing their complaint. To be fair i think i have had 2 in 15 years. Never heard from them again despite them threatening legal action, poor reviews.

Awful people, one family even invented a burglary to claim off their insurance. They must have thought the ins company were as stupid as they were and roll over and pay out. The list of valuables read like the crown jewels and they were on holiday in spain.