Bookings for 2018 up or down?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.

Are your Bookings for 2018 up or down on 2017 at this point in time?

Poll ended at Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Up 30% or more
16%
Up 15% or more
16%
Up just a bit
28%
Down just a bit
19%
Down 15% or more
14%
Down 30% or more
7%

Total votes: 43

Codliveroil

Bookings for 2018 up or down?

Post by Codliveroil »

As the title suggests at this point in time are you up or down compared to 2017. I am talking days/weeks booked not revenue. Whatever the answer follow up with any ideas why or how you achieved it or what you think can be done about it. Also say where you place is, are your prices up down or the same, that could have some bearing.

Please don't vote you are up 30% or more because you were closed last year, just don't vote if your situation is not normal, you get my drift right? :D
Little Villa

Post by Little Villa »

Our bookings are up for this time of year. We are surprised that we have so many, before the end of February. Normally at this time of year we are worried that we haven't got enough, although we eventually usually do OK. We have a 1 bedroom house and couples do frequently book later than larger groups. We have kept the same prices as 2017.

We have more returning guests this year, which is great, also friends of returning guests, German/Austrian guests (who come by road) and some from UK. Our house is in Croatia, so we had expected a reduction in UK guests, due to perceptions of euro/pound, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Our OD subscription runs out soon, and we plan to let it lapse. We have our own website and have now set other things in place - Natuurhuisje, Quirky Accommodation, Facebook Groups, Walking World in process, along with RSPB magazine, which we have used for about a year and Ferienhausmiete, which we have used for several years. We also have hopes for the new sites - HVD, Owner Holidays and so on. Oops, I nearly forgot to mention The Holiday Let!
declanja

Post by declanja »

My bookings are slightly ahead thanks mainly to some repeat bookings and one good word of mouth recommendation. After years of defending HA on LMH purely for their ability to generate bookings, they seems to have died on me.I have not had an inquiry from HA since October last
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I think ours are up quite a bit but that is probably due to a lot more effort on our part as spring was poor last year. We have made good progress with Facebook in the last 6 months but it is hard work
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I'm down a good 30% compared to this time last year. Not a bite from OD since last Sept - up until last year they supplied 60 to 70% of my annual bookings. TA bookings have also declined over the last 3 years, possibly due to their high fees?

Working to improve our website and Facebook. Using Facebook groups which have brought in a few bookings. Changed my OD listing last week from subscription to commission so at least I am now VISIBLE to holiday makers. It's all a question of adapting and changing our marketing in response to the OTAs' new business models.
The best things in life are free
COYS

Post by COYS »

Our circumstances have changed along with our approach to marketing but the downward trend is undeniable. I think the 20-22 week seasons are a thing of the past for our region & realistically 12-14 would be regarded as a resounding success by most. Bookings are there but the conversion rate has to be so much better as the number of enquiries are far fewer than in previous years. Enquiries or bookings via our only remaining OTA sub (OD) are non existent now, the sharp decline inextricably linked to the change in business model. The upside of not relying on listing giants is that most enquiries are genuinely viable from the get go & there is very little of the speculative casual enquiries that used to boost the figures. Now we would have to convert 80-90% of 10 enquiries via our own site & luckily have managed to do so.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
katiebythesea

Post by katiebythesea »

I only advertise and take bookings via Owners Direct and their various other sites, Homeaway etc. This time last year I had no bookings at all and yet this year I already have 8 including some low season ones. Still got a couple of peak weeks to fill but not really worried as these always do get booked (or have done since 2009 when we started!)
I realise I am going against the grain here by sticking with the "big and bad" Expedia owned site but I haven't had time to put into finding other sources of getting leads/bookings.
I first signed up to online bookings and payments last year and not had any problems with this and am really quite surprised how the bookings have come in so quickly this year - Expedia must be doing something right despite various problems I have read about them on here!
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Although March has done especially well this year, from April onwards I have 9 weeks available until the end of August. Last year I had 6 weeks without bookings.

I had put my prices up a little but have now reduced them back to last years level.

New bookings via my site: 33% (Down on last year)
Repeats: 33% (Far better than normal)
OD subscription: 27% (Down on previous years)
OD commission: 7%

No bookings via Trip Advisor, AirBnb (lot of local competition), Cottage Guide, The Holiday Let etc.

I post on Facebook and occasionally pay to boost a post but this has not brought any bookings

I am about to send a newsletter to past guests offering 15% off until mid August if they book before end of March. Will also ask for permission to continue to send newsletters.