Security deposits

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
RebelEmC

Security deposits

Post by RebelEmC »

Now that we can no longer charge credit card fees how are you managing security deposits? If I take the security deposit via Stripe I lose 1.5%+ when I receive it and the refund will incur the same.

I'm thinking of telling clients to pay security deposits by bank transfer. Hopefully that will mean more of them paying the entire balance by bank transfer too.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I'm pretty sure that when you make a refund with Stripe they refund the commission fees to you as well.

FYI: That's also true with PayPal refunds.

Stripe even allow "partial refunds" whereas I do not think that PayPal do this.

Of course, you could test this by paying yourself say 10 Euros/Pounds and then issuing a refund. I believe it will cost you nothing, but in the worst case scenario it will cost you less than a first class stamp.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

i take it as part of final balamnce so 2 months before travel, we charge £200 and 99% of my guests pay via internet banking, I then refund the same way

Sandra
RebelEmC

Post by RebelEmC »

Thanks e-richard. I'm going to give it a go.
RebelEmC

Post by RebelEmC »

You can do a partial refund through Stripe which I've had a go at. It will be interesting to see if I get the whole amount requested refunded. However you can only do a refund within 60 days of the payment which won't work for me with my current set up where people pay up 60 days prior to rental starting. I'll have to think how to proceed, it's a pain for everyone is I have to add another payment.