I wonder....

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
e-richard

I wonder....

Post by e-richard »

This came through in my TA dashboard. I have masked the name in case its genuine - but it feels odd. Note the opening phraseology.
The TA enquiry form specified a week in April - being the next available slot in my calendar which enabled him to find me on TA, but note he is asking for availability in June/July.

"My name is Wwwwww Ffffff, I work as a chemist in Hamburg. This summer holiday I want to organize an escape in Algarve for my family.
I tried to make a booking, but it seems that I have some problems seeing the calendar. Also I can't even open my messages here. I don't know why, maybe because I am using my phone.
The problem is that I don't have access at a computer for a few days, and I need to know until tomorrow evening if you have 7-10 days available in June or July, to make some work related arrangements.
If you are using air bnb, I can make the booking there, as I see I don't have any problems on their platform. Could you please write me at my personal address if you have availability, and air bnb link.
My address is:
WwwwwFffff(at)chemist.com

Again, I can't even read any messages here, it would be very helful if you write me at my personal address.
Hoping you receive this message.
"

Also, amazingly, his email address did get through the TA filters, so I am replying to that address - just to see.

What do you think ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I saw this (or something VERY similar) reported on one of the facebook owners groups yesterday, possibly a French one. Sorry, I can't check out where at the moment. Looks like scam to me.

ETA: OK, found it. Its exactly the same as yours except that in the one I saw its Franz Keller who works as a financial consultant in Munich and wants to organize an escape in South France for his family.

The email he wants a reply to is FranzKeller(at)consultant.com
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck then its probably a duck. :?
What would Plato do ?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

When I posted the question late last night after a nice glass (or 2) of vintage red wine, it all felt odd.

In the cold light of day and reinforced by the answers above I am now convinced its scam, so quite happy to post his name: Walter Frost.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

So you’ll be giving him the cold shoulder then, Richard? 😃
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
sarahk

Post by sarahk »

i received something very similar (just another name, the guest was a lady from Germany) 2 days ago, from tripadvisor...
I send her a reply, asking the number of guests... No answers.
this morning tripadvisor sent me a warning message about this "suspicious email", most likely a scam.
Giuliano

Post by Giuliano »

Probably a scam trying to get access to your mailbox. Once you write to your mail address from your mail address, they usually send you a (fake) link, saying they cannot locate the property, and then a page asking your login details opens
sarahk

Post by sarahk »

WARNING!!
a fake airbnb email just arrived.
It said that my account has been blocked and that I need to click a link
NEVER CLICK on it! it's not Airbnb...

(Of course, i verified and my account was normal and safe Wink)

I'm pretty sure they kept my email from my reply (see my prevoius message, i was contacted by a german lady that asked my airbnb link)

Post by sarahk »

...and i don't know how to notice it to official airbnb site.