New bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Fiona,

I remember an email from a lady saying she was 'very interested in renting accommodation in my area' and 'could I make any suggestions' ! A bit of a cheek, I thought, but I pointed her in the direction of my competitors :shock:

Did I get any thanks? Not a word.

Ah well, she probably did me a favour: I'd rather not have guests like that !
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jenny,
I've often had people ask for recommendations if we are fully booked for the week they have and always give them a list of rental accommodation sites to try, or other gites in the area. Do I ever get any thanks for going to the trouble of helping them out? Once, I think, that was it, and he was Dutch not British. Courtesy and politeness seem to have disappeared.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Susan,

I'm with you all the way on recommendations when I can't accommodate inquiries...always good to be helpful, never know, they might come back next year...

...the galling thing in this case, though, was that I wasn't booked for the week she wanted! For some reason she seemed to think it ok to treat me like a travel agent (she even came back with more follow-up questions, which I did my best to answer politely with just one teeny-weeny sarky comment when I felt overly irked!)
debk

Post by debk »

I wasn't booked for the week she wanted
I hope you recommended your place! :lol:
debk
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Call me stupid, Deb, but I didn't! I just assumed she'd seen the ad, decided it wasn't for her, but thought she'd pick my brains anyway (several times, as it happens...) - I'm pretty easy-going on most requests, but even I thought that was a question too far!
brenda

Post by brenda »

I´m thinking of a career change!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get so many people asking for general information - have always just booked alternative accommodation in the area before seeing our ad (?!?) - that I´m thinking of hanging a sign outside saying Lake Vinuela Tourist Board. I do try to be helpful but would appreciate the odd thank you email - in my dreams!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Brenda wrote:I do try to be helpful but would appreciate the odd thank you email - in my dreams!
Brenda - that's it exactly. That's what really bugs me...
debk

Post by debk »

You're defnitely not stupid, Jenny! :) :lol: But I do think it's possible that the person was confused. If she wasn't sure how listing sites work, or if she was just overwhelmed by the choices on the listing site, she might have finally clicked on the first email link and mailed a general plea for assistance that you, lucky you, received. Just a thought.

This past week, I received an email that said "Please confirm a meeting for Nov 11, 4pm, as I want to buy a house in Lisbon. Please confirm." :?:

Seems that VRBO is still a bit of a mystery to many.
debk
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Ooo errr Deb, I honestly never thought of that...
....looks like you'll be moving into Lisbon real estate soon, then :D
debk

Post by debk »

looks like you'll be moving into Lisbon real estate soon, then
We'll know more today at 4pm. :D

Wonder if I can still get the domain name PurchasingPortugal.com...
debk
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Great, Deb, you had an alternative explanation for Jenny´s enquiry looking for accommodation suggestions. I must admit that my first reaction to such an enquiry would be similar to Jenny´s but I would still try to "sell" my property to her first without any other options.

Slightly more off topic! What wording do people use to invite ie demand a response back from initial rental enquiries. I am finding, probably like others here that I am getting very few responses, generally only those who actually go on to make a booking. Even when the enquirer asks about something specific which I have been able to confirm - I never hear from them again.

Maria
debk

Post by debk »

This is my template, which is tweaked to be more friendly/personalized. I send it 2-3 days after my initial response. About half the time, I get a reply but if not, I don't pursue further. I don't feel that anyone has to reply to me... rather, I just want to make sure I didn't drop the ball on my side (e.g., my response wasn't lost in cyberspace and/or buried in other emails)
Dear -

You recently inquired about our Lisbon vacation rentals at
http://www.VisitingPortugal.com

Since email sometimes goes astray, I'm writing again . . . Have you already found a rental?

If not, I've attached a map which highlights our location in Lisbon's historic center. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

If you have already completed your accommodation arrangements, please accept our best wishes for your upcoming travels!
The map I send is very generalized, for security purposes, but still an effective marketing piece.
debk
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Nice wording, Deb. I don't tend to follow up on enquiries, thinking that folk will come back to me if they're interested - but this is definitely a helpful way of doing so. Thanks for sharing your template.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Great Idea DebK :D
and simple [as all the good ideas always are]
I will borrow this, but of course change the Portugal bit :wink: .

Also Paolo mentions telling them the house reference or description as they might have enquired on a lot of places at once...

[some of these websites say something like click here if you want this sent to all similar houses/villas in the area]
Which might explain why some websites send a lot of Enq which dont turn into bookings[It also is an easy way for them to make you think their websites are working] :wink:
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Deb,
Your follow-up letter is nice and informal - I like it. Like Jenny, I don´t usually send a 2nd response unless I have another enquiry pending.

Many thanks,

Maria