OD cancellation policy - help !!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Toscana

OD cancellation policy - help !!

Post by Toscana »

Hi

I have been caught by Owners Direct cancellation policy basically I have not set one up. A guest has cancelled for two week in early May. OD tell me I have only two options either a full refund or no refund, but highlighted if I chose the later then the customer would complain and they would take the full refund anyway!!

I have always, since joining in 2007, have published a cancellation policy as part of my online Owners Direct property page under the Price section citing a 50% refund if between 6-4 weeks before you holiday.

when Owners Direct was revamped by Home Away in 2016 I configured my property details to the new set up but I am almost sure I did not see the option to up cancellation policy set up. At least not the current option based one e.g relaxed, Strict etc.
Also I noted that OD alway automatically request payments by email. This email always cited Cancellation policy as refer to owner's cancellation policy. So I thought I am covered!!

I don't want to lose two weeks rental money and I don't want OD to lock those two weeks preventing me re-renting them. But the OD system is saying that I must reply to the cancellation request.

Any ideas on how to handle this. I would be most grateful.

PS one bit of good news is that I had emailed the guest and they are happy with a 50% refund but I just can't action it.

Thank you all
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Perhaps you could explain to the guest that you're not able to action the 50% refund via the OD dashboard.so can only action the zero refund so that's what they'll see. But in effect you'll give them 50% back. Does that work?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Toscana

Post by Toscana »

Thanks you !

That sounds like a plan, I have composed a message to send to my guest asking for his bank details and will make refund. I will ask for receipt confirmation. Then I will cancel the booking via OD.
louiseddie

Post by louiseddie »

Hi Toscana, bear in mind that cancelling the booking at your end will put you further down the listings with OD, rubbish but true. Not sure what else you can do though.
Toscana

Post by Toscana »

OD have indicated it will not affect my ranking as the cancellation was made by the guest.
louiseddie

Post by louiseddie »

I think it's that if the guest physically cancels it on the dashboard at their end you're not affected, but if it's you who physically cancels it on the dashboard at your end it will automatically count as you cancelling it, regardless of the background of it being because the guests wants to. It might be worth checking if you're worried about your rankings.
Toscana

Post by Toscana »

Good point I will check this, it was much simpler when it was just Owners Direct!!