Questions about using Netflix in holiday home

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
SusanMay

Questions about using Netflix in holiday home

Post by SusanMay »

We're about to upgrade the TV in our holiday cottage to a Smart TV, mostly to get catch-up TV but it also comes with Netflix. Does anyone leave TVs in their holiday homes signed into Netflix with their own membership details? Our plan says you can only watch two screens at once so I can see that could cause a problem occasionally. We could pay more monthly to allow 4 screens at once but I can still foresee problems. A guest could presumably, for some reason or other, log out of Netflix and we wouldn't want to give people our Netflix password so they can get back in (we don't leave near so couldn't pop in and sort it out).

Do people have a separate membership just for their holiday rental? I'm balking at the extra expense of that.

What if guests who have Netflix use their own membership details on the TV in the holiday home? What happens when they forget to log out at the end of the holiday?

I'd be grateful if anyone who has Netflix on their holiday rental TV could let me know what they do.

Thanks in advance,
Susan
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

We have 2 smart TVs at our place, and we don't supply any log-in info for Netflix/ Amazon etc. We do make sure at each changeover that they're both logged out (occasionally they have been left logged in).

The log-in page for Netflix always shows a free 30 day trial, so if any guests come along who don't have an account, they can always set it up there and then. No-one has commented on any problems (yet - famous last words . . . !)
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Thanks Nuthatch. Yes, probably simplest to just let it be and if people want to log in or subscribe its up to them. My only concern then is that my cleaner might have to log someone out if I get a phone call after their holiday, he's not the most techie savvy chap!
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

Susan, We recently took out a Netflix subscription for our own property and decided to allow the holiday let access to our subscription on the smart TV there (we live onsite). Before doing so I checked to make sure that guests would not be able to change login details, setting etc and was reassured to find it can only be done when logged into my account on a laptop or tablet not on the TV and any changes are notified by email. It’s another selling point and guests do not get the login details, I leave the Netflix logged in for them to use or they can log out and use their own account if they subscribe.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

My thinking on this has been that if they don’t already have a Netflix subscription then they are unlikely to start now so I just advertise my TVs as having the capacity to show Netflix. I had a problem with a guest logging in with their daughter’s account and then she couldn’t get access in Arizona ( or wherever). I really don’t know what happened but they eventually sorted it. It was all a bit of a palaver. So now I tell people if they subscribe to Netflix, Amazon, have a sling box set up on their TV in the States etc. then they can log in and beam from their OWN device to the TV. I got a google dongle for this for both places, despite the TVs being Netflix-ready ones. I did not want to have yet another subscription cost or the potential problem of one person using another’s account if they forgot to log out ( and me being blamed).
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Sandra J wrote:Susan, We recently took out a Netflix subscription for our own property and decided to allow the holiday let access to our subscription on the smart TV there (we live onsite).
From Netflix terms and conditions:-

4.2. The Netflix service and any content viewed through the service are for your personal and non-commercial use only.

I don't think giving the holiday let access is going to be allowed.
Martha

Post by Martha »

They can sign out of all devices remotely if they forget to log out so no need to worry about that.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

I was wondering if people could sign out of a device remotely. That's good then. So it seems it's best (for me anyway) to not try to give people access to my own Netflix subscription, or to create a new one for the cottage, but to let people know that they are welcome to sign in with their own membership if they want to.

Thanks everyone,
Susan
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We too are upgrading to a smart tv & will advertise it as having access to Netflix etc. Decided it was too fraught as a remote owner if guests who were not familiar with smart tvs tried to acess Netflix because it was free & get in a muddle. 'Bring your password with you' :D
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

Newtimber, Sky TV also states that “You will not use the Service or any part of it other than to view the Channels in private for non-commercial purposes at your Address“ yet a significant number of holiday lets have Sky TV and will not be paying for a commercial subscription. Leaving DVDs for guests to view is also a breach without the relevant license.
COYS

Post by COYS »

A slightly different approach. We used to bend over backwards to provide smart tv services like Netflix, PS network etc but soon found out that in warmer climes it was an absolute headache.

Sweaty, oily bodies lounging around or with air con blasting 24/7.
Equipment constantly being retuned, tampered with, reset, locked out etc, etc.
Warnings of service suspension from ISP over illegal streaming/gaming
Thousands of extra greasy fingerprints to clean up every changeover & wasted time spent resetting defaults or reconnecting cables on the equipment.

So now we have a good range standard subscription tv package with smart content & set up options locked. The PlayStation is history & the games or DVD's that did still play (possibly 20% of them) went to a local charity auction & raised a few quid.
We have never yet received a single comment (visitors are made fully aware pre-booking) so can only assume that folk find better or other things to do, preferably outside in the fresh air or putting some much needed cash into the local business economy.
Shame it took us 6 years of teeth grinding to cop ourselves on.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Kilm

Post by Kilm »

COYS wrote:A slightly different approach. We used to bend over backwards to provide smart tv services like Netflix, PS network etc but soon found out that in warmer climes it was an absolute headache.
Ha, unfortunately I'm in an often fairly cold climate, so Now TV was essential!

I leave it logged in, but Now TV has a PIN which lets me lock the system from other purchases.
The guests really appreciate this little extra and it gets almost as much feedback as the hot tub and log burner!

Now TV allows three devices by default. The lodge is one, and then I've got one on my home TV and my phone.

Top tip for anyone with Now TV who's paying monthly - try to cancel it. It'll ask if you're sure. If you say yes, it'll then ask you if you want it half price for six months.

Sneaky sods.