Throws and bedspreads

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
sparkJS

Throws and bedspreads

Post by sparkJS »

I am gradually upgrading the decor of my house. All starting to look good.

The property has never had bedspreads or throws/cushions which would add a bit of luxury. Instead we have clinical white duvet, pillows and valance. It looks quite bland and I have bought some throws.

However I am concerned that they will not last long. We allow dogs so the house is very dog friendly I.e. Wooden floors throughout and nothing much for dogs to chew up or destroy.

Will these throws need to be laundered after every visit? I have a company doing changeovers.

It would be good to hear what others do.
MG
loveka

Post by loveka »

Ours don't get laundered every visit.

I assume most people take them off the bed, as they don't seem to be used much. But they do look good!
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I'd suggest, if you want to jazz up a plain bedspread, that you go with a bed runner? Large throws and cushions are a pita as a guest and often get thrown on the floor the moment a guest arrives, ready to gather dust and dirt. The same would go for a runner, but by being smaller, it's easier to launder and is more likely to find a space on a chair/in a cupboard when it's not in use.
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

I had gorgeous throws to start with but the washing was costing a fortune. (I’m a bit OCD with bedding so tend to wash it all a lot.) I looked at the bed runners that Mitre do, but the thought of them ending up on the floor then going back on the bed, or being left for several guests, really freaked me. Just couldn’t see the point tbh, if only there for decoration.

I now buy the large fine fleece blankets from Dunelm. There is often a cage somewhere in store full of them, especially in the winter months. They are reasonably priced, fit nicely folded across the bottom of even my large Superkings (which the ones from others don’t do) and there are a variety of colours so I can ring the changes. They are easy to wash too, so do them at home with a laundry steriliser added as I can’t wash them at the high temperatures that the rest is washed at. I now wash them after every guest, rather than sending them to the laundry with the duvet covers, sheets etc. It’s so easy. They are easy to fold too, and to drape over a chair if not used, but they seem to be used a lot. They wash beautifully, don’t need ironing and look great.

I know the guests use them and like them because they are so soft and warm and cosy.

I had some beautiful cushions on the beds too, but have now gone down to just one cushion per bed, which looks just as good but is easy for guests to pop it on a chair. I buy them from The Range. They have a great selection of inexpensive cushions so not a fortune to replace. I keep a few spares in case of accidents and expect to replace them regularly, but to be fair they have done far better than expected, even though they have to take being steam cleaned! I especially like the long thin ones which look lovely on the bed.
kathiejs

Post by kathiejs »

I understand bed runners in hotel rooms - people sit on the bed during the day as usually there isn't anywhere else, and they keep the foot area clean. But in accommodation with a living area they probably won't do that, so a runner is just decorative and a bit superfluous really. As a guest I'd stick it in a drawer on day1. To add a bit of colour I'd maybe just go for white pillowcases with a decorative border. I have fluffy throws available for extra warmth but they're in a drawer.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kathiejs wrote: As a guest I'd stick it in a drawer on day1.
Ahhhh - an ideal guest! I think the normal approach with a bed runner is for the guest to chuck it on the floor on day 1 and then spend days 2 to 7 walking over it in muddy shoes.
Away from hotels, bed runners only serve one purpose - they look good in photos. Beyond that they’re a PITA for guests and owners.
sparkJS

Post by sparkJS »

That was what I was thinking. As we are dog friendly the throws will go on the floor and attract sand, dog hair and anything else.

I think I will use them for the photos and then put them in a drawer or basket next to the beds rather than on the beds.

i know that some guests will think they have been mislead if the photos show them but they do not exist!
MG