Holiday Rentals' US sites producing enquiries

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Mountain Goat

Holiday Rentals' US sites producing enquiries

Post by Mountain Goat »

After a quiet patch from potential UK customers, we're getting some good enquiries from the HR's Home Away site (although haven't learned to check exactly from which site they originate) for Summer 2007.

They're nice, solid and specific enquiries, for meaty 1-3 week rentals in June and July, so don't clash with the UK school hols. I've got a vague idea that US school vacations are earlier?

MGoat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

MG,

That's good to know!

If I'm not mistaken, you have had good success with the original HR website too, right?

The US school holidays typically start in June (sometimes at the beginning, sometimes in the middle) and end in late August or September.
Brooke
Giulia

Post by Giulia »

I have taken up the offer from HR for the US sites until the end of my subscription with them , but I have not had any enquiries How is eberybody else doing with them?
Giulia
A-two

Post by A-two »

MG,
Brooke's correct of course, but US Schools do vary, as everywhere else in the world, but I would say that all break earlier than the UK. Around here, state schools usually close third week of June and go back first week of September. Private schools could break earlier and colleges/ universities could break around mid-May and go back mid-August. In Florida, even the schools break in May and return in August, so it all depends on the State/ institution.

Officially, the start and end of summer vacation time is considered and referred to as "M/D to L/D". These are the common abbreviations for Memorial Day in May and Labor Day in September (aka bank holiday Mondays) and everything inbetween could be someone's school/college summer vacation. Check any US calendar.

A typical inquiry for around those public holiday weekends might say, "Do you have availability for a week including M/D?" or, "last 2 weeks of August inc. L/D". You may not come across this, but if you do, at least you now know what it means!

Hope this helps
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi,
I took them up on the offer too but haven't had a single enquiry from the American sites.

Mind you, I haven't had anything from HR UK since mid-
Dec, which is the longest they've been quiet. But since I only joined last June I don't think I'm an expert on the trends yet...

Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We've pretty much filled our gites with HR over the past two years but, although we signed up for the American thing when we renewed, HR has been very disappointing this year and we've barely had an enquiry from them for months. And we've been used to getting plenty of American guests.

It's odd how a previously effective site suddenly disappears off the radar. We haven't changed. But, judging by other members' comments about HR recently, we're not alone in this.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jimbo wrote: It's odd how a previously effective site suddenly disappears off the radar. We haven't changed. But, judging by other members' comments about HR recently, we're not alone in this. Jim
Ditto Jim - it does seem to be losing its grip, perhaps a bit complacent (though David Kingsley, their sales manager, has assured me otherwise) now its subscription list is so huge. As for their US sites, our ad is still carried on around 3 of these. Not a hot dog. Perhaps the US market is still not ready for SW France. Provence probably does OK though - and ski resorts, going by MG's feedback.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
A-two

Post by A-two »

It's not fair to blame HR when there are so many other factors at play, like the fall in the US dollar, which is in the gutter. Much of the world has become increasingly expensive for Americans... :( Conversely, the US has become extraordinarily cheap for anyone bartering Euros and Pounds Sterling .... :) And it's not only European currencies, the same applies to the Australian dollar and other currencies.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is now significantly cheaper for some people to stay in my place in high season than it was 3 years ago even though my rates have been raised significantly over that time.

Do the math in reverse for your own rates before starting to look elsewhere to place the blame for lack of US interest. A good place to start would be www.oanda.com where you can look up historical data for currency conversion. Use the typical credit card rate (+2%), and work out the answer to this question:

How much have my rates increased over 3 years ago when converted to dollars using the different currency exchange rates from 3 yrs ago and now?

You may think you've only made a modest rate increase, but when the currency conversion is taken into account, that modest increase could be huge for someone buying Euros or Pounds with US dollars.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Joanna :) ,

A great Post[as usual]
It is easy to forget other influences when we are disappointed with results...And it is so helpful having someone from that area giving the commonsense view[Its what makes this forum so rounded I think....]

You are right about the Exchange rate influencing people...

Me and Hubby were discussing having a trip to the USA sometime this year[havent been for about 6 years but used to visit regularly] because of this. so of course the reverse would be true with Americans coming to Europe.
The only time this argument wouldnt hold up is if people were still getting the same amount of bookings off another US Dominated site and not this one! :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That's perfectly true and we've been guilty of overlooking the currency issue: I'm sure H-R will feel mollified when they read your post Joanna as your point is obviously a major factor in respect of the US market. But it seems that also, many of us have problems with our ads on their US sites only appearing as thumbnails, with no access being given to the property details; this can't be helping response levels either.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

our ads on their US sites only appearing as thumbnails, with no access being given to the property details; this can't be helping response levels either.
Totally right GG :wink: and I would be fuming about that as well simply not Good Enough :evil: :roll:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Joanna wrote:
It's not fair to blame HR when there are so many other factors at play, like the fall in the US dollar, which is in the gutter.
Hi Joanna

Your point about the effects of the low US dollar on European travel is well made, but I wasn't seeking to blame HR for a lack of US interest. For the last two years, we've had a good number of US guests through HR (and very nice people too) without specifically advertising for them. Now we've actually chased the US market through HR's American thing, not a peep. Ironic huh?

And this is against a background of the HR site not performing for us in any market at present - in stark contrast to previously. Fortunately, our other sites are picking up the slack.

Jim
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi - for those of you concerned about the HR US partners and who haven't been following the basic HR thread, this is what I posted there yesterday - and several others reported the same problem.
(apologies for not posting it here - I guess I got mixed up between HR threads :? )
Elaine
laineyfr wrote:Hi,

For anyone else who signed up for HR's US partners and hasn't had any enquiries....
I just checked to see if my property was so far down that it would be lost and discovered that while the thumbnail appears on the list, once I click on it, I get an error message. It's the same thing on all the US sites. :x

I've emailed the different support services but I'm sure it will be a while before I hear anything.

If anyone else is in the same position, it might be worth checking the full listing is visible. That said, the listing belonging to friends who "upgraded" :? at the same time is perfectly visible.

Elaine
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Good news!!
Just posted this on the general HR thread...

Well, hats off to HR and its partners...
Although I haven't yet had a reply to my e-mail (sent just yesterday so that's an observation, not a complaint) my listing is now visible again on all the US sites!! :D

Anyone else who's been having problems may want to check again today - and if there's still a problem, e-mail them. They clearly do pay attention.

Unfortunately, I still have no idea how long I was invisible :( but I have this forum and all of you to thank for my having done something. If I hadn't read everyone else's comments about lack of enquiries, I would have assumed it was just me, at least for a while longer. So thanks!!

Here's hoping for a mass influx from across the Atlantic!!

Elaine
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I receive European enquiries & bookings from H-R never American enquiries and thats for both properties. IMHO VRBO is the place for that. Yes, the exchange rate is a big factor right now, most Americans I know are travelling within the USA or Canada, they are not planning an overseas family vacation. Its just so cheap here in comparison... I mean.. wonderbras are 45 quid in Scotland.... thats atrocious. :shock: